Price Comparison - Costco, Wild Fork, and Restaurant Depot

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Daba's BBQ

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 24, 2021
Metro NYC
I live on Long Island and decided to do a little research project yesterday. I wanted to compare prices from three of my suppliers - Wild Fork, Costco, and Restaurant Depot. I used to own a wine bar/restaurant, so I keep up my membership at Depot.

I checked prices on 15 of the most common items that I usually buy which include ribs, pork butt, NY strip, ribeye, pork loin, brisket, and a few others. What I found was very interesting.

Costco - of the 15 items, they were round top, pork loin, and pork butt. They were equivalent with Wild Fork on brisket flat

Wild Fork - they were lowest on eye round and NY strip

Restaurant Depot - they were cheapest on short ribs, bottom round, boneless ribeye, and short ribs (3 bone)

Note: At Restaurant Depot you must buy in bulk, hence the name. So the minimums are usually in the 5-10 pound range. This means you are spending more money, but saving more as well.

I hope you guys find this informative.

Peace

Thank you for the comparison, it is very helpful. However there are a lot of us who don’t have access to the wholesale clubs or RD. Anyone can buy from WFF, and their prices & quality are excellent.
Al

Reactions: MJB05615
I have access to RD as well as BJ's and Costco - like everything else, I'll check pricing on the items I need, along with the size. I typically get brisket at RD, but as you noted, they are relatively large - I was able to get a flat at BJ's for similar cost that would feed the # of people I had for that dinner. RD meats, I've found, are generally pretty good, and if you're willing to have extra freezer space around (I have 2 full size, plus 2 normal that come with the fridge) it usually works out pretty good. In fact, I'll buy a full NY strip from RD and cut them into whatever size I need, individually vac seal and freeze.

Enjoy the smoke :)

Thank you for the comparison, it is very helpful. However there are a lot of us who don’t have access to the wholesale clubs or RD. Anyone can buy from WFF, and their prices & quality are excellent.
Al
As of just now, prime brisket through WFF is $4.98/lb. Costco in my area is $3.99. Curious that WF is still that high.

I think* they may trim the brisket before packaging. Maybe that is worth a dollar per pound for some. Now, with no Costco or the like, it's a pretty good deal.

*Worth what you paid lol

I know lots of folks don't have these stores near you. But I do. So I just used those I go to on a weekly basis.

Reactions: forktender
I'm just now trying out WFF, and I'm kinda partial to the $29 per year for free shipping.

Bear

I don't shop beef at Costco any more, the taste is off.
Perhaps it's the country they choose to buy from.
Don't know for sure and don't intend to demean Argentina (I think it is) but Texas beef tastes much better to me.

Many folks told me that they do not have access to big box stores or an RD. A fellow Smoking Meat Forum member suggested that someone create a public database broken down by state, region & local areas.

Well, guess what? I'm going to do just that. I took early retirement and have LOTS of time on my hand so I decided that this will be my next project.

Before doing so, I don't want to just jump in and create a massive spreadsheet. I would like your input as to what you would like to see included in this database? I cannot include every single type of meat, so I think it best if we keep it to the most common meats that we buy and cook. I also think it would be a good idea to include the pricing for wood and charcoal (lump and briquettes).

I'd love to get your feedback and begin to lay out a plan. Once I have formulated the overall information that I will include, I'll run it by everyone to get feedback, input, and suggestions.

I think this can be a live, ongoing database and should be very useful to everyone. Feel free to reply here or send an email to me at [email protected]. Please be sure to include meat type, price, store name, state, city and region in your correspondence.

I look forward your hearing from all of you.

Peace

Last edited:
I just go to Costco. I don't have access to RD. Wild Fork also seemed a bit expensive to me. We used to do butcherbox but they raised their prices.

I see that they offer same day delivery. That means that they are just a delivery service. They pick something up and drop it off to you. Am I wrong?

I see that they offer same day delivery. That means that they are just a delivery service. They pick something up and drop it off to you. Am I wrong?
Same day is only if you have one of their stores in a specific distance from you. Otherwise it is shipped frozen.

Closest one is in Orlando which is 2+ hours away. That's cool that they can do same day from that far away for such a cheap delivery price with only a $35 minimum!

The grades of meat vary from store-to-store, making price comparisons difficult. I find Costco on the high side, but the quality is top-notch. (Although I fully respect the palate that considers their flavor to be off.)

Reactions: Marknmd
I rarely buy beef at Costco. Too much of a hassle. Massive crowds...always. I can generally find prices equal to or a little more or less than Costco at Winco, and I don't have to fight the crowds.

Turns out the Costco in my town is the highest revenue performer in the West. That's what a team member told my wife when she asked if they had a item in stock she had bought the week before. They were sold out. She went to another Costco and they had a full pallet of the product she wanted. Then said we'll shop there from now on. Twice the distance...half the hassle.

I keep my freezer full buying meat on sale at Winco.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky