Pressure canning hotdogs?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bill ace 350

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Dec 28, 2013
Pressure canner arrives on Tuesday.
Been making a recipe list.
Start with bone in chicken thighs
Chili
Beef cubes from eye roasts.

Thought about hotdogs.
Can get them dirt cheap.
Anyone done them?
Opinions?

Thanks

We used to can hotdogs in jars with hotdog sauce to cover. You could take em anywhere unrefrigerated (camping,races) ,heat em up and they were really good

Reactions: jcam222
I'm guessing you have the Ball Blue Book and you have been checking it out for recipes?

I have seen canned sausage recipes for sausage patties in pint jars, but haven't tried them. Hot dogs should work and I'm thinking sliced in some sort of sauce (?), but make sure you follow an approved procedure.

lJg8k17.jpg

I have canned meats, broth and fish for 40+ years so after you read about cold pack, hot pack, bone-in, boneless, etc., feel free to ask questions. Home canning is a great hobby.

Good way to get rid of the neighbors cats.

Now that's funny!! Personally we don't eat enough hot dogs to consider canning them but am curious to see what you come up with. If it all works out for you I might think about some other homemade sausages though.

Robert

I'm guessing you have the Ball Blue Book and you have been checking it out for recipes?

I have seen canned sausage recipes for sausage patties in pint jars, but haven't tried them. Hot dogs should work and I'm thinking sliced in some sort of sauce (?), but make sure you follow an approved procedure.

View attachment 513550

I have canned meats, broth and fish for 40+ years so after you read about cold pack, hot pack, bone-in, boneless, etc., feel free to ask questions. Home canning is a great hobby.
Never really thought about canning meats, but I may look into it. It might free up some freezer space and if there was a power outage of a few days
you could still have meat. I have the Blue Book.
Looks like a lot of head space in those jars, but like I said, I've never canned meats.

Never really thought about canning meats, but I may look into it. It might free up some freezer space and if there was a power outage of a few days
you could still have meat. I have the Blue Book.
Looks like a lot of head space in those jars, but like I said, I've never canned meats.
The benefit of canned meats is the fact it's cooked and ready to use. Canned chicken is very versatile.... from chicken salad, to a pasta dish, or chicken soup or stew in minutes. Canned pork and beef is a real timesaver when making Mexican food.

Speaking of headspace.... You have a keen eye for detail. Those jars of chicken ↑↑ were raw pack, which uses liquid from the meat for the jar liquid. You will see that Ball recommends NO additional liquid to be added, and therefore all raw pack products have an inch or so of headspace. However, that instruction is still based on the USDA testing from the '50's. Many canners (myself included) will bend that rule and add a tablespoon of water or broth to improve headspace. These jars ↓↓ are hot pack. The breasts were poached until about half-done, then hot broth is added before processing. It's all a matter of preference and available time on canning day.

1ZEIPxk.jpg

This is some hot pack pork butt. I also can corned beef (USDA has comments on canning 'cured' meats), salmon, smoked salmon and wild game. Beef is my least favorite but it does come in handy for a fast stew or pot pie.
aABNAZo.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky