Cilantro/Lime Chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
Food Lion has 10 lb. bags of Tyson Foods leg quarters on sale this week for $5.90. Went and grabbed a bag and was thinking grilled...that was until Mother Nature decided it was too dry around here after last week's nearly 2 inches of rain and gave us 3 more inches. So I shifted gears and started perusing here and the interweb for any ideas, something different I hadn't done before, and came upon a few cilantro/lime recipes. The ones that really caught my eye had chili in them too, but with grands eating, I thought it best to leave that out. By the way, the quarters had to come off of pterodactyls, they were HUGE!! There were 7 in that 10 lb. bag and one of those was actually "normal" size...

So here we go...

Most of the line up...
20230125_151806[1].jpg

Squeezed the limes, removed the stems and chopped the whole bunch of cilantro, crushed 5 cloves garlic and chopped...
20230125_153046[1].jpg

I cut 4 quarters into thighs and legs, trimmed the skin, and removed the backbone. Mixed up this seasoning blend to rub on the chicken ("stole" this mix from one of the recipes I looked at)...
  • 1t Lawry's low sodium seasoned salt
  • 1t Spanish paprika
  • 1t cracked black pepper
  • 1T garlic powder
  • ½t ground nutmeg
20230125_153548[1].jpg

Pan seared the chicken in EVOO until browned...
20230125_170235[1].jpg

Deglazed the pan with half a bottle of cheap chardonnay (bottom shelf stuff). Brought to a simmer and reduced some...
20230125_172358[1].jpg

After reducing, I added in about 2 cups of low sodium chicken broth, the lime juice, and the garlic. Brought back to a simmer for a couple of minutes. Then I put the chicken back in and spread the chopped cilantro over the top...
20230125_174214[1].jpg

Covered and into the oven on 375℉ for about 30 minutes or so until the chicken is done...
20230125_182045[1].jpg

Served on our good china with simple roasted cauliflower, rice, and some parmesan bread that my wife bought. Time to eat...
20230125_184017[1].jpg

We're not big fans of cilantro and my wife said it was too much, I didn't think it was. Maybe I'll back off of that some. The lime was barely noticeable, maybe a little more next time, and I'll probably will remove the chicken after cooking and reduce the sauce a little more. Definitely would like to make this with some chili in it for some pizzazz. Overall I was happy with the outcome even though I wanted to fire up the grill.

These leg quarters were really big, biggest I think I've ever seen, and would take forever to cook on the grill. I think they would make a good chicken bog or soup...

That's a great way to do chicken . Nice looking meal .
We're not big fans of cilantro and my wife said it was too much,
I wasn't going to say anything , but since you did ,,, Lol .
I with the misses on this one . Gets strong fast for me too . Now the lime ? That's a perfect profile for me . I inject lemon extract in my whole chickens and chicken parts .
Lime extract may be an option ? Mixed in with Pop's brine , not straight extract . It's good .
Great looking meal Charles .

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Nice looking vittles Charles. BTW what's chicken bog?

Point for sure
Chris

Nice looking vittles Charles. BTW what's chicken bog?

Point for sure
Chris

Basically chicken and rice with some super secret ingredients...:emoji_laughing:

Reactions: gmc2003
Food Lion has 10 lb. bags of Tyson Foods leg quarters on sale this week for $5.90. Went and grabbed a bag and was thinking grilled...that was until Mother Nature decided it was too dry around here after last week's nearly 2 inches of rain and gave us 3 more inches. So I shifted gears and started perusing here and the interweb for any ideas, something different I hadn't done before, and came upon a few cilantro/lime recipes. The ones that really caught my eye had chili in them too, but with grands eating, I thought it best to leave that out. By the way, the quarters had to come off of pterodactyls, they were HUGE!! There were 7 in that 10 lb. bag and one of those was actually "normal" size...

So here we go...

Most of the line up...
View attachment 656160

Squeezed the limes, removed the stems and chopped the whole bunch of cilantro, crushed 5 cloves garlic and chopped...
View attachment 656163

I cut 4 quarters into thighs and legs, trimmed the skin, and removed the backbone. Mixed up this seasoning blend to rub on the chicken ("stole" this mix from one of the recipes I looked at)...
  • 1t Lawry's low sodium seasoned salt
  • 1t Spanish paprika
  • 1t cracked black pepper
  • 1T garlic powder
  • ½t ground nutmeg
View attachment 656161

Pan seared the chicken in EVOO until browned...
View attachment 656164

Deglazed the pan with half a bottle of cheap chardonnay (bottom shelf stuff). Brought to a simmer and reduced some...
View attachment 656165

After reducing, I added in about 2 cups of low sodium chicken broth, the lime juice, and the garlic. Brought back to a simmer for a couple of minutes. Then I put the chicken back in and spread the chopped cilantro over the top...
View attachment 656166

Covered and into the oven on 375℉ for about 30 minutes or so until the chicken is done...
View attachment 656167

Served on our good china with simple roasted cauliflower, rice, and some parmesan bread that my wife bought. Time to eat...
View attachment 656168

We're not big fans of cilantro and my wife said it was too much, I didn't think it was. Maybe I'll back off of that some. The lime was barely noticeable, maybe a little more next time, and I'll probably will remove the chicken after cooking and reduce the sauce a little more. Definitely would like to make this with some chili in it for some pizzazz. Overall I was happy with the outcome even though I wanted to fire up the grill.

These leg quarters were really big, biggest I think I've ever seen, and would take forever to cook on the grill. I think they would make a good chicken bog or soup...
Looks great Charles, I have made with Oakridge BBQ chili lime rub and it is great.

Wow Charles, that looks great. Like your wife, I'm not a huge fan of cilantro but can handle it in smaller quantities. Overall that meal looks fantastic and the flavor combo sounds outstanding. Way to go for something different and have it come out well.

Robert

That’s some beautiful cooking! I love the chicken braise this time of year! Yours look delicious! I’m a cilantro fan, but a lot of people think it tastes like soap, so in some meals, when I’m cooking for those people, I substitute fresh parsley instead. That gets the herby light flavor without the cilantro reaction!

Wow Charles, that looks great. Like your wife, I'm not a huge fan of cilantro but can handle it in smaller quantities. Overall that meal looks fantastic and the flavor combo sounds outstanding. Way to go for something different and have it come out well.

Robert
Yeah Robert, we're not big fans of fresh cilantro, but cooked is a little more tolerable. The rain continues today and I was planning to cook on the grill tomorrow so may have to take another detour. Thank you for your kind words, my friend...

That’s some beautiful cooking! I love the chicken braise this time of year! Yours look delicious! I’m a cilantro fan, but a lot of people think it tastes like soap, so in some meals, when I’m cooking for those people, I substitute fresh parsley instead. That gets the herby light flavor without the cilantro reaction!
Thanks a bunch, Jed!! I thought about subbing, but wanted to stay kind of true to the theme...

Reactions: bauchjw
Looks great we love those flavors, I would zest the limes for more flavor instead of more juice

I'll be honest Charles... I cheated tonight... and just looked at the pictures...looks delicious! I'll have to come back and read tomorrow!

Ryan

• Haha
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky