Pressure Canned a Brisket this Morning

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bigtank

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jul 10, 2018
Algona IA
Had a prime brisket in the freezer with no plans to for a future smoke, so I decided to can it. I like home canned beef and its great way to have roast beef and taters after work. I just trimmed it up and cut into chunks. put it in Qt jars with a little Johnny Seasoning and processed in the pressure cooker.
canned beef.jpg

That's gonna be good eating! We need to do more of that. Grew up with canned meat... makes for a quick meal. Great to take camping also.

Ryan

This is my 1st brisket, in the past I've done chuck roast. It is usually melt in your mouth tender.

Reactions: JLeonard
From my experience I normally cold pack as it’s going to get heated beyond 212 degrees and that is great thing about canning as it’s creating a sterile environment. Chunks of meat, whole chicken legs, meat with bones etc. Add a little salt, a little spice and you get quick made meals.

Reactions: JLeonard
I pack raw no liquid pack the meat fairly tight. Most suggest leaving a 1 inch gap from the top of the meat to top rim of of the jar. I put in a about 1/4 tsp of Jonny's all purpose seasoning. Process for 75 minutes. There is lots of videos on YouTube.

Like Bigtank, I rawpack meat chunks no liquid. Pack it in tight, leave the 1" heads pace, more if it's a fatty cut, sometimes add salt and pepper. Ground beef I brown before hand though, drain the fat/juice to separate mist of the fat. Fill the jars to 1" heads pace with drained meat then add juice/broth/stock to the top if the meat.

Of course process in a pressure cooker iaw usda time tables for whatever kind of meat it is. It's nice to have ground beef, beef, pork, or chicken cooked and canned on the shelf for easy week night meals. The texture holds up well, I like the canned chicken for chicken salad for lunch. Beef and pork can go right into soup or just eaten plain. Plus, it's shelf stable for 5 years, great way to store grocery store sales without taking up freezer space or worrying about losing it in a power outage.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky