Pre Memorial Day Spares and Taters

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

matts

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
Central Illinois
I picked up some spare ribs at Sam's for a smoke on Memorial Day and we ended up getting invited over to my brother in laws for smoked ribs on Monday.  So I decided since you can't eat ribs too often, I would just smoke mine up today.  And my sister in law is eating with us today, there may be a little rib competition going on.

After reading a recent post on a straight cook with a rub and brown sugar glaze, I decided to go that route.  After cleaning up the ribs they got a good coat of Jeff's rub.  Then a decent layer of brown sugar.  

Almost done melting

2b04b3b4_0529001045.jpg

Then I started putting together some taters.  I have never smoked taters but I did some reading on here and figured out it can easily be done.

I took a cookie cutter and cored out the split taters a little bit and filled the cavity with butter.  Then some Lawrys and a little bit of brown sugar.  I put the cored piece of tater back on top with some olive oil and parmesan cheese.

d2082018_0529001114.jpg
b05abb7d_0529001120.jpg

Now its all ready.  The brown sugar is all melted and running all over the place.  In the smoker now at 225 with some hickory chunks.

9fec8308_0529001134.jpg

I am eagerly waiting and waiting and waiting.   Oh and waiting.

Boy that looks good. Cant wait to see the results

Although they took a bit longer to then I thought they would, they turned out great.  The sugar glaze in combo with the rub made for a different taste in every bite.  Now the taters on another hand, not so good.  After 6+ hours in the smoker at temps between 225-250, they weren't even close to being done.  I don't know what the deal was there.

defe45d6_0529001739a.jpg

they look great, maybe microwave them to finish, and possibly next time MW the taters some before splitting.

I seen someone else here split them and hollow them out some mix what they took out with Blue Cheese (I think) then refill put them together and wrap with bacon. they also looked very good.

cool.gif

Man oh Man those ribs look good and I bet they do taste good to. Now for your taters I would just throw into the micro and then they will be good eats too.

Thanks everything.  The ribs were even better today right out of the fridge.  

I will try the MV next time on the taters.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky