Practicing for rib comp.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Bubba, sounds like you cooked some great ribs. It is very difficult to maintain lower temps on a weber kettle. Dave, the other team memeber, was telling me that he did the same cook this weekend on his weber kettles and found it hard to stay under 300 degrees.

I would try some without foiling, but you may lose a few ribs on the ends. They will probably be crispy. I would also try to cut the foiled time in half on another. Cooking at the higher temps, you will have to adjust the cooking times down. Your just going to have to keep experimenting with different combinations until you hit the right one.

Looks really good Bubba!

IMHO - because your cooking at higher temps I would not reduce the foil time. I would reduce the initial cooking time till they just start to pull back and wrap em! Then finish as always. Lookin good Bubba Lookin real good!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Thanks guys but im agreeing with deb, they cooked pre foil about 2 1/2 hrs and were pretty much done, the foiling just made the meat that much softer, im thinking less cook time and maybe 45 min's in foil, wanna be able to do that last 30 min's or so unfoiled without them falling apart so i can baste and firm up the meat
thanks for all the replys.........never would have used the weber like that without all the great advice from our little forum!!
PDT_Armataz_01_40.gif

Dude I can't wait to do my first ribs. Done brisket, shoulders, turkey breast and turkey legs... but not ribs.

I think you're post might have inspired me to do it this weekend.

Wow! ... Can't believe that I missed this thread ... Doh!!!

They look great Bubba and after reading all the posts, I agree also with Deb. I have never used a Weber so have no experience there.
After seeing yours ... Hmmmm may have to add one to the stable some day.

Nice job!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Tell ya what Paul, i've garbage picked 2 now, gave 1 away, next one i find i will bring to you (still lookin for a reason to get some canuck beer) i'm hooked on the charcoal now, got a 6 burner high dollar gasser that is used pretty much as a warming oven! lol
PDT_Armataz_01_18.gif

i see those webbers all the time on craigslist all the time for cheap... i am just not allowed to bring anymore things home though....even if i am "holding on to it for a friend"..lol

you did good on those ribs Paul, after we move at the end of the month, ribs and pulled pork are going to be on the menu the next day....

2 weeks from tomorrow, doin another practice run sunday with 3 more racks of bb's, think i got it figured out from all the info last time to get these babies just right
PDT_Armataz_01_29.gif
BTW, what are u smokin this weekend?

Heya Bubba, just fired her up and gonna do some briskets, and later on a few racks of ribs and some chicken, will let you know how it goes. Have a great weekend!!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Nothing wrong with aiming for improvement.

If just cracks me up how we have taken something so simple that Ugh the caveman was able to do and made this a whole art form.

Let's keep it up.

thought id update this thread...........got my registration back this week (took long enough) plan has changed, goin from 5 racks to 4 and now there st. louis cut and not BB's
PDT_Armataz_01_07.gif
Oh well, still cookin on the weber (inderect) with the same rub and glaze, only diff. is the timing maybe, and i'll go with a hickory apple mix for smoke. Should be a good time, charity event for the local sheriff's bike division. Be doin 6 slabs tonite and 6 more tomorrow with a brisket and a couple "bubba fatties" so should have a lot of pics for you junkies Hope everyone has a great holiday weekend
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Well, did 6 more racks on sunday, best yet!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
not lookin forward to cookin spares for the comp. but thats what they're supplying.Wish us luck.

Thanks Jeff, Comp. is at Freedom hill on sat. 16 mile and dodge park, if youre not doin nothing, stop on out, supposed to be like a family thing, stuff for kids and alot of good food (i hope)
PDT_Armataz_01_22.gif

I'd love to, but I got a long list and a short weekend. The missues has somethinngs she wants done and as I always say " if momma's not happy , nobody's happy"

Good luck!

Hey Bubba, I wanted to wish you the best of luck tommorow with the cookoff. Hope you have a great time!!! Take some pics for us if time allows
icon_wink.gif

Now.....GO GET EM'
PDT_Armataz_01_41.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky