• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Practicing for rib comp.

jts70

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Joined Mar 12, 2007
I cannot make it there but will be there in spirit. So go kick some Q ass!!!

squeezy

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 17, 2005
Nice lookin' ribs Bubba ... hope everything goes perfect for you tomorrow ... I think I can speak for everyone here ... we are all rooting for ya buddy!
Do good and have fun!
p.s. I have never competed, but I am going to observe one this weekend and will take notes and pix.

Go Bubba Go !!!

bbq bubba

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 12, 2007
I'd just like to thank you guys for all the encouragement, just finished packing up, didn't realize how much crap you need to go smoke ribs in a parking lot!
Db bbq and myself will be checking in at 9 am, picking up our 4 racks of St. louis ribs, setting up and getting down to business

Turn in is at 4 so there's plenty of time. Supposed to be 89* so there should be a lot of pop's goin down (and this is a sheriff's fundraiser) lol
will take pic's and try to check in tomorrow nite,

BTW, i decided to go with "YankeeZQ2" for our team name...watcha think?

db bbq

Smoke Blower
Joined Apr 9, 2007
Truck is loaded and ready to go, Can't wait to fire up the
Webers in the morning cuz..Bringing a new sauce to try out Sweet and smokey with a wee-bit of JacknApple should be good..I like the "YankeeZQ2" team name...

cheech

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Dec 19, 2005
Best of luck to ya looking forward to the final report

squeezy

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 17, 2005
I'd like the name better with a small z ... 'cause it took me a minute to realize that you were pluralizing Yankee ... so it would be better in my opinion to be " YankeezQ2 " What do you think?

bbq bubba

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 12, 2007
Well, here goes......27 teams, 3 restaurants, 4 caterers, 89* and humid, ribs came 1 1/2 late, got turn in box to stage with 1 second left..............
Tied for 3rd
came down to a tie breaker and we missed by 1 point!! winner had 304 and we had 299. BTW, 1st n 2nd cooked over gas grills
Overall very happy, wow, what a blast!! Made some new friends, met some bro's from some other forums and had a great time, got a few pic's.............heres our set-up

ribs goin with a couple snackies

sorry i missed the pics on the turn in box, we got a lil rushed! TY DB BBQ (cuz) i had a blast and we will be definetly be doin more in the future

bbq bubba

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 12, 2007
A couple pics of the competition...........

The judges table

these were final glaze just before turn in

tonto1117

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jan 25, 2007
FANTASTIC...OUTSTANDING....WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS ya'll must have been on cloud nine!! I can't wait to hear all about it.

msmith

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Nov 22, 2006
Great job Bubba not bad at all for your first time out, Ribs looked great

squeezy

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 17, 2005
Bubba ... all I can say is that I hope you will still talk to us underlings ....
Wow! ... tied for third on your first try!

Hmmm ... all that practice paid off eh?
Does my heart good to know that 1st & 2nd were on gas ... Shhh! .. did I say that?
Congratulations my friend!

BTW.. I spent my day Judging ... first time at a competition and fist time judging ... fun!

deejaydebi

Legendary Pitmaster
Joined Nov 18, 2006
I must be from Oz I always thought comps were wood or charcoal only. I've only had the pleasure of seeing two and they all had wood or coal.

squeezy

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 17, 2005
I was at one today as a judge ... and they were using electric too!
Heck! ... it's all good ...

jts70

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Joined Mar 12, 2007
WooHoo! I knew you could do it! Great finish, I am glad it was a good time!

db bbq

Smoke Blower
Joined Apr 9, 2007
What a Great day, We met a lot of good people, made some new friends and almost took home some hardware the first time out..Still hard to believe only (1) point away..Just goes to show you don't really need a big commercial or custom smoker to make Great BBQ, All we used were
22 1/2" Webers,charcoal,wood chips,custom sauce,and homemade rub's..
Oh" and a Few Pop's & a Cold Jug... TU: BBQ BUBBA (cuz) We'll have to keep practicing (DARN)..Almost there!!!

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.