Power washing a smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Medina Joe

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 6, 2018
Ohio
I think it's time to clean out the smoker. Has anyone power washed theirs before? I have a lot of creosote build up. Do you also re-season it as well?

I pressure wash my grates and reverse flow plate about once a month.
Spray some Pam on the grates and fire my smoker up an smoke on.

WHAT???!!! ........and wash out all the flavor!!! I never wash but I do scrape the inside if needed and then reapply smoke to protect it from rusting.

Reactions: GATOR240
One thing to keep in mind is that the coating of condensed smoke on the inside of a smoker always "looks" about the same once you have a good coating built up. On the other hand, the bare stainless steel of a new smoker is very reflective.

To make things operate consistently, you need to keep things the same from one smoke session to the next because a shiny surface reflects infra-red energy while a dark surface tends to absorb that radiation.

So you either need to leave the smoker well-seasoned, or you need to polish it clean every time! Being the lazy type, I prefer to keep my smoker "well seasoned" at all times.

"Well seasoned" sounds a lot nicer than "filthy with creosote", you'll note! ;)

I've done it to a couple MESs when they got full of overflowed drippings and schmutz.
Didn't seem to hurt anything, and really did a nice job on the window with a 0 degree tip. On the other hand, where the powdercoat was orangepeeling it took it off, and I suspect there would have been hell to pay had I hit the door seal...

I'd be concerned that a power washer could force water into places where you might not want it to get, causing electrical problems.

These smokers are likely designed for gravity dripping and not high pressure spray.

Yup, me too, but I seem to have skated and removed the rancid grease to boot.
Multiple statements in the factory literature clearly suggest that nothing but tincture of ambrosia and unicorn farts are to be used for cleaning, so I'm sure stronger measures are Verboten, but I suspect that there was a chinese engineer with "ɡāo wán" who realized that a necrosectomy might occasionally be needed and maybe worked a little extra into the gemish...

Last edited:
I never washed my mes30 with water, I just scrape it once in a while to knock the loose stuff off.

I think this is going to depend on what kind of smoker you have. My Lang has a large drain and Ben Lang suggests spraying it out when it's hot after every use to steam clean it. When I had a box store offset I would occasionally remove everything from inside and light the build up in the cook chamber to clean it out. That's probably not the FDA approved method :-)

it's a off set rivers grill smoker. It's charcoal & wood only. I may just scrap it out.....

Thanks everyone for there input

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky