Power Vented!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Markl

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 1, 2020
Minnesota
I have 20lbs of bacon to cold smoke tomorrow and with the Temps finally warming up, I'm concerned with how much draft I'll have. So I got a variable speed fan so I can control the draft. Wanted a smaller fan, but complete the project I settled on a 120mm. Drew up and 3D printed a mount for my MES and got it finished today. Will see what tomorrow brings for results!

Attachments

• 20230502_155332.jpg
    20230502_155332.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 20230502_155154.jpg
    20230502_155154.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 20230419_141643.jpg
    20230419_141643.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 53
When I tried it something like that the smoke gummed my little fan motor up.
Will be interesting to see how bad it gets. Considered it, but figure try and clean it or replace it

Cool setup. I was using my PB1150PS2 with smoke tubes/tray and had a stagnant smoke flavor. Ended up dumping hopper and running auger tube low on pellets. Then used little fan blowing in hopper the few pellets left in it helped slow the air.

I have a speed controlled fan on the door of the mail box. I get great results with it. And with pushing the smoke instead of pulling it. You don't have to worry about stale smoke. Or gumming up the fan motor.

I have a speed controlled fan on the door of the mail box. I get great results with it. And with pushing the smoke instead of pulling it. You don't have to worry about stale smoke. Or gumming up the fan motor.
I was thinking the same thing this morning after I fired it up. I might have to also switch to a smaller fan. I'm running on the lowest setting with the vent closed some. Worried about moving the smoke thru to fast.

Attachments

• 20230503_063843.jpg
    20230503_063843.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
I thought the same as Mike . Gonna make the pellets burn faster and maybe even ignite .
Shorten up the 3" at the top run and add a physical stack on the exhaust and I bet you don't need the fan . Nice work on the fan set up BTW .
1683119371287.jpeg

Well I finished the 2nd smoke this morning and looks and smells pretty good. Using the fan on this experiment did shorten time on the smoke tube, but did not cause the pellets to ignite. I do have to reduce to a smaller 80mm fan if I do this again. The 120 even at its slowest setting moved to much air I believe. I did take Chopsaw`s advice and shorten my top 3" leg which helped.

My main reason for trying this was I normally smoke when temps are in the 40's. With warmer ambient Temps, my concern was sufficient draft. This morning started at 56 with the internal temp of the smoker in step. I got to 62 degrees when it finished. In the end the color looks good and taste is excellent.

Attachments

• 20230507_092413.jpg
    20230507_092413.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 29
Reactions: chopsaw
Well I finished the 2nd smoke this morning and looks and smells pretty good. Using the fan on this experiment did shorten time on the smoke tube, but did not cause the pellets to ignite. I do have to reduce to a smaller 80mm fan if I do this again. The 120 even at its slowest setting moved to much air I believe. I did take Chopsaw`s advice and shorten my top 3" leg which helped.

My main reason for trying this was I normally smoke when temps are in the 40's. With warmer ambient Temps, my concern was sufficient draft. This morning started at 56 with the internal temp of the smoker in step. I got to 62 degrees when it finished. In the end the color looks good and taste is excellent.
Looks great! I love fun little projects like this.

If you find your fans getting gummed up easy and cost increasing to replace fans let us know.

There is another design that does very similar using a computer blower fan but is designed to cause draft without the fan taking on any smoke. I have built a couple and they work great. Another user on here did a 3d print job of the same kind of project and I believe they had good success as well.

No matter the design, the important thing is to get that draft going, avoid stale smoke, and make great cold smoked food! :)

Reactions: JLeonard
Looks great! I love fun little projects like this.

If you find your fans getting gummed up easy and cost increasing to replace fans let us know.

There is another design that does very similar using a computer blower fan but is designed to cause draft without the fan taking on any smoke. I have built a couple and they work great. Another user on here did a 3d print job of the same kind of project and I believe they had good success as well.

No matter the design, the important thing is to get that draft going, avoid stale smoke, and make great cold smoked food! :)
I saw that design and yes, that would be better. Have an idea to 3d print using a 80mm fan with a 360 degree flow input. Will post it when I get it done

Reactions: JLeonard and tallbm
I saw that design and yes, that would be better. Have an idea to 3d print using a 80mm fan with a 360 degree flow input. Will post it when I get it done
Cool, I look forward to seeing it :D

Any chance for a link or pix of that design? Down to my last leftover computer fan. :emoji_slight_smile:

Any chance for a link or pix of that design? Down to my last leftover computer fan. :emoji_slight_smile:
The idea is that you have a tube/tunnel that sits over the MES vent.
A blower fan is rigged to blow air UPWARDS through the tube/tunnel which then causes draft/suction of the air and smoke out of the MES.

All of this done while the fan never gets hit with any smoke :)

Here's a link to the thread of the initial one I built using cardboard and a computer blower fan and tape.
full.png

There is a thread somewhere on the forum where the guy made a 3dprinted version of this contraption and you just simply insert the fan in the upward angle section that allows it to blow up the tunnel.

I can't find that thread though but you get the idea.

Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky