Potato Sausage Round 2

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hi Winterrider, so do you just make a batch small enough to eat right away. If you just cold smoke for 45 minutes
and no steaming or poaching.

No we did not, just gave them about 45 mins with some hickory dust.
Cold smoked

I am new to making sausages and I thought if no cure is used , they should be cooked as there is raw pork in mine
David

We were going to smoke at 160° but did not use cure so was unsure if would have been safe for that short amount of time and freeze immediately.
chef jimmyj chef jimmyj , could this be done (45 mins or so ) with/without cure for future reference ? My hunt buddy says he has before and is still alive ( maybe lucky ?)

I am new to making sausages and I thought if no cure is used , they should be cooked as there is raw pork in mine
David
[/QUOTE]

Understand, sometimes not so sure myself.

David

Understand, sometimes not so sure myself.
[/QUOTE]

Ha ha , I know what you mean , In my thinking , the time to mix all and than stuff and than cold smoke , that is a lot of time for raw pork/ beef to be out in less than chilled temps
just me ,

But maybe some one can help us out

David

The clock starts on Fresh Sausage when you take the ingredients out of the Refer. The USDA recommendation is, No more than 2 hours out of refrigeration, Total, before the Sausage gets Cooked at 225°+, to an IT of 165.
If that 2 hours is spent cutting, trimming, grinding and stuffing, etc. Smoking at 160 for another hour can result in a trip to the Hospital...I would not Cool/Cold smoke ANY SAUSAGE that does not contain Cure #1. But you can take the chance If you wish...JJ

Reactions: DRKsmoking
No more than 2 hours out of refrigeration, Total, before the Sausage gets Cooked at 225°+, to an IT of 165.
If that 2 hours is spent cutting, trimming, grinding and stuffing, etc. Smoking at 160 for another hour can result in a trip to the Hospital...I would not Cool/Cold smoke ANY SAUSAGE that does not contain Cure #1. But you can take the chance If you wish...JJ

Thank you Chef, that is what I thought I read in one of your other posts, we just wanted to be sure,
That is why I poach or steam my sausages. Only done it twice so far. Building up to kielbasa for that is what my wife really wants.

Thank you JJ

David

Reactions: chef jimmyj
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky