Pot Of Pintos

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
Doing another dutch pot of tex mex pinto beans.

20211031_143456.jpg

20211031_142954.jpg

1 pack pinto bean. I like the ham beans pack but feel free to use what you like.
1T olive oil. I opted for avacado oil this time.
1 small white onion diced.
3 cloves garlic diced or use pre diced in a jar>1 1/2T
Sea salt and black pepper to taste.
1 vegetable bullion or 1 cup liquid
1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce. You can use more to you taste.
1/2 cup rotel with green chilis or use what you like. I opted not to use this time.
1T ground cumin
1T chili powder
1/4tsp ground cinnamon (opt)
1T lime juice
Diced cooked bacon or hock if you like

Add pinto beans to a large pot and cover with cool water (at least a few inches above the beans as they will expand).
Soak for at least 6 hours or overnight* uncovered at room temperature.

Once beans are soaked, drain and set aside.

Heat your large pot over medium heat. Once hot, add olive oil, diced onion and garlic, and season with a healthy pinch each sea salt and black pepper. Stir to coat and sauté for 3-4 minutes, or until onion is soft and translucent.

Next add drained beans and bouillon cube and cover with water about 2 inches over the top, as the beans will expand while cooking. If using vegetable broth in place of a bouillon cube, add vegetable broth first, and then water so you don’t add too much liquid. If you need more liquid add hot water just to cover beans. Cook uncovered.

Add chipotle pepper (diced) and diced tomatoes, stir and bring to a low boil. Then reduce heat to low or medium-low and simmer for 40-50 minutes (adjust time for the batch of beans your making or until beans are tender.

Once the beans are tender and cooked through add remaining seasonings: adobo sauce, salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, and cinnamon (optional). Stir to coat and cook on low for 10 more minutes to let the flavors meld.

Taste and adjust seasonings as needed, adding more salt to taste, cumin for smokiness, chili for depth of flavor, cinnamon for warmth, or adobo sauce (and minced adobo peppers) for heat. Add the lime juice here. You want them very well seasoned, so don’t be shy!

I'd have a bowl or two of that with some cornbread on the side.

Another meat option for soup beans, as we call them around here, is country ham. I've been using country ham in my beans for years. You can usually find vac sealed packs of country ham scraps on a rack in the meat department pretty cheap.

And bottom of the bowl .
My wife just chops her cornbread up it her beans like that, too. Maybe I'm weird, but I don't like cornbread and beans all mushed together. I prefer my cornbread on the side, dosed liberally with KerryGold butter.

Oh man! That just screams out for some cornbread. I would put a hurting on myself with that
Jim

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky