Possible to modify Louisiana/Pit Boss Series 7?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jrapps

Original poster
Apr 20, 2009
I have a Louisiana Grills 7 series vertical smoker from Costco. I like it, but the way my patio is arranged, the door is backwards from how I want it. Has anyone ever modified one of these to have the door swing the other way? I assume all I have to do is drill holes and move the hinges to the opposite side. I also assume this will void any warranty?

I have one as well and if that is what you need to keep on smoking I wouldn't worry about the warranty. The hinges and door locks are pretty basic so switching them over should not be that hard.

Pull 1 of the screws and see if its a sheet metal screw or a machine , if a machine screw you will have to buy some new self tapping and then tape the door shut with 1 of the hinges off in order to mark where to put it. good luck and its doable .

They are attached via machine screws into a rivet nut. I do not think a sheet metal screw would hold under the weight and motion of the door. Rivet nuts can be had on Amazon, but if you don't have a higher power rivet tool, they can be tough to install as they are thicker than normal rivets. I used them on my MES SS modifications, but I have a manual/hydraulic rivet gun which made them a breeze. Here is a photo of a stainless rivet nut before and after it's crushed by the rivet gun (the inside is threaded - comes in different thread sizes & pitches).

full

Reactions: Chris_in_SoCal
This makes sense and does seem promising. I will have to research rivet nuts.

You don't have to use rivet nuts. Regular nuts work fine. Just hit them with some threadlocker so they don't loosen from thermal flux.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky