Possible exhaust issues?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

crankybuzzard

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 4, 2014
Montague County, TX
I've vented the smoke out the top of the back wall to prevent "liquid smoke"' aka creosote, from dripping onto my goodies, but I'm wondering if I may end up with a clogging of the arteries in my exhaust pipe.

Any experience with this anyone?

Here's a shot of what I have. It's 2" black pipe.

As you can see in the pic, I already have condensate building up on the inside of the vent... Not worried, just curious.

Do you have a little rise to the lateral pipe? I just installed a propane stove in my house and the vent had to have a 3/8 inch per foot rise. I know this probably means nothing but it was for condensation to not develop from what I read. Dave Omak is the man. Shoot him a PM.

I should have been more clear, this is in the small electric smokehouse I recently built. All smoke is generated with an Amazen pellet tray, heat is PID controlled.

With the bottom vent I have and the exhaust sized the way they are, I have a good draw. Smoke from a pan of pellets, when held in front of the lower vent, will draw through.

I was just wondering about the build up of gunk in the elbow of the exhaust.

Understand more now. Guess I was thinking more about my own smoker,and the size I have. I had same issues and had to install larger exhaust. Maybe you could drill a hole in the 90° ell on the bottom, would drain any moisture. (if any) Just thinking witch most of the time gets me in trouble. CF 

CB, morning..... Think about removing the elbow.... Just have a straight exhaust.... You probably will still get condensate in the pipe but it shouldn't be a problem... Can you tip the pipe on a bit of a downward angle... that should help a bunch....

CB, morning..... Think about removing the elbow.... Just have a straight exhaust.... You probably will still get condensate in the pipe but it shouldn't be a problem... Can you tip the pipe on a bit of a downward angle... that should help a bunch....
Howdy Dave!

I had the straight pipe at first and was going to run with it, but when I get a good north wind, it tends to stifle my progress.  So as an experiment I got the 90 and the vent stack, working better now.  I can get rid of the 90, and just add the vent cover to the horizontal pipe, still a wind break.  Still plenty of north wind season for me to experiment with, not to mention, a 6" piece of pipe isn't too much to replace each season if needed...

Also, the horizontal pipe does tilt toward the interior of the smoke house.  Better inside than on the concrete drive.

this might be a crazy or stupid idea but could you insulate the pipe up to just below the cap? Maybe it would help to keep the condensation from forming? Just throwing out a probably bad idea.

I would replace the 90 deg. elbow with a tee. Then put a nipple out the bottom of the tee with a removable cap for a cleanout. Or you could just unscrew the nipple and cap from the tee for a no chance of mess clean up.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky