Does smoke exhaust routing need to come out vertical?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Of course wood fires release carbon monoxide

Putting a heat source in an enclosed space with the condenser coils of a refrigerator/freezer is a fine choice...if one is willing to ignore the laws of thermodynamics.
The smoker shouldn't be a heat source as it should retain the heat and be well insulated, especially with the $800 price tag of a smoker.

It's very common to have mini fridges in these bays and in very tight enclosed spaces.

...Never seen a smoker in any coach but plenty of grills that come out...Many people use an oven while driving both propane and electric...
Two key differences about what you're proposing: unattended operation and metering of fuel supply. I doubt any builders have grills that are intended to work unattended while the vehicle is in motion. Sure, propane and electric ovens have a risk of burning the roast or, if very poorly/carelessly used or maintained, even starting a grease fire, but they're at least in the passenger cabin where indicators like smoke and burning food is detectable by reliable human noses.
Second key difference: ovens have carefully metered fuel supplies; grills and smokers don't. I may have a huge generator (even a power plant) backing my electric heating element, but due to the voltage being fixed, the element's resistance is such that it can only draw less power in an over-temp situation. Gas/propane ovens have precise metering, similar to carburetor jets or injectors in an engine, that prevent ALL the fuel source being available in a fire situation. (In fact "engine fires" are almost a result of the supply system--a leaking gas line--spraying an unmetered amount of fuel on a hot surface, not something going wrong in the combustion chamber itself.)
Plus it's very easy to install overtemp detection on ovens that cuts off fuel (either electricity or gas) completely. But for glowing coals that burst into flame, or stacks of biscuits that ignite (or hoppers of pellets, etc) you pretty much are left to fairly serious fire suppression approaches to deal with the problem, which I think you have the resources to implement...just don't scrimp on the engineering there, including upgraded insulation.
Again, in short, there's a reason the Bradley literature says 1) keep away from structures and 2) don't use unattended.

Two key differences about what you're proposing: unattended operation and metering of fuel supply. I doubt any builders have grills that are intended to work unattended while the vehicle is in motion. Sure, propane and electric ovens have a risk of burning the roast or, if very poorly/carelessly used or maintained, even starting a grease fire, but they're at least in the passenger cabin where indicators like smoke and burning food is detectable by reliable human noses.
Second key difference: ovens have carefully metered fuel supplies; grills and smokers don't. I may have a huge generator (even a power plant) backing my electric heating element, but due to the voltage being fixed, the element's resistance is such that it can only draw less power in an over-temp situation. Gas/propane ovens have precise metering, similar to carburetor jets or injectors in an engine, that prevent ALL the fuel source being available in a fire situation. (In fact "engine fires" are almost a result of the supply system--a leaking gas line--spraying an unmetered amount of fuel on a hot surface, not something going wrong in the combustion chamber itself.)
Plus it's very easy to install overtemp detection on ovens that cuts off fuel (either electricity or gas) completely. But for glowing coals that burst into flame, or stacks of biscuits that ignite (or hoppers of pellets, etc) you pretty much are left to fairly serious fire suppression approaches to deal with the problem, which I think you have the resources to implement...just don't scrimp on the engineering there, including upgraded insulation.
Again, in short, there's a reason the Bradley literature says 1) keep away from structures and 2) don't use unattended.
I don't see the difference I'm metering fuel supply. The fuel supply is electricity in the p10 smoker so is metered just like an electric oven. The smoke briquettes aren't a heat source but they are controlled burn.

And bradley literature is just a CYA. Are you saying you never leave the smoker unattended?

...the smoke briquettes aren't a heat source but they are controlled burn.
Until they aren't. Accidents happen; things go out of control. And the Bradley biscuits are inches away from known heat sources in a P-10.
Are you saying you never leave the smoker unattended?
Pretty much. My smokers are all used >10' from anyone's living quarters (mine or neighbors'.) Sure I leave them to prep meat, etc. But if I'm going to start other chores, there's a thermometer inside that remotely alarms to me on over-temp. And I'd never drive away (or be more than a minute away in an oopsie situation) with a smoker going...although on the pellet subforum I've had many a dissent on that philosophy from folks who leave home with pellet smokers in operation right up against their home with overhanging wood eaves. As they always say, "I've never had a problem".
Of course the exception is a stock MES. They truly are as safe as my kitchen oven. Then again, although I've been known to do it, I'm not keen on leaving the house with that oven on either.
I just know I'd feel really bad if I burned down my house, even if I could afford to buy another. There's some stuff there (memories, self-respect, etc) that goes beyond dollars and cents...makes me risk-averse.
You sound pretty comfortable with risk, and have lived a successful life with that philosophy, which is great. And I'm no lawyer, but the fact we're all discussing this with you might put a future insurance claim into question.

Until they aren't. Accidents happen; things go out of control. And the Bradley biscuits are inches away from known heat sources in a P-10.

Pretty much. My smokers are all used >10' from anyone's living quarters (mine or neighbors'.) Sure I leave them to prep meat, etc. But if I'm going to start other chores, there's a thermometer inside that remotely alarms to me on over-temp. And I'd never drive away (or be more than a minute away in an oopsie situation) with a smoker going...although on the pellet subforum I've had many a dissent on that philosophy from folks who leave home with pellet smokers in operation right up against their home with overhanging wood eaves. As they always say, "I've never had a problem".
Of course the exception is a stock MES. They truly are as safe as my kitchen oven. Then again, although I've been known to do it, I'm not keen on leaving the house with that oven on either.
I just know I'd feel really bad if I burned down my house, even if I could afford to buy another. There's some stuff there (memories, self-respect, etc) that goes beyond dollars and cents...makes me risk-averse.
You sound pretty comfortable with risk, and have lived a successful life with that philosophy, which is great. And I'm no lawyer, but the fact we're all discussing this with you might put a future insurance claim into question.
I just don't see how a specialized briquette would go out of control and even so it's a small amount of wood in a large contained space.

The point is to use it while driving where we're just a few feet away from it and all kinds of sensors and options to remotely monitor it including seeing the bay door and smoke while driving in the rear view mirrors. Even more so since I'm planning on having the smoker on passenger side and exhaust on the drivers side so when we're smoking and parked the smoke isn't on our "chill" side.

I don't see the difference between me smoking meat while driving and you having the smoker outside your house. Both are unmentioned. The difference is mine will be in an enclosed bay with an additional temp sensor so if the bay is warm I'll get a notification, text and email.

I just don't see how a specialized briquette would go out of control and even so it's a small amount of wood in a large contained space.

The point is to use it while driving where we're just a few feet away from it and all kinds of sensors and options to remotely monitor it including seeing the bay door and smoke while driving in the rear view mirrors. Even more so since I'm planning on having the smoker on passenger side and exhaust on the drivers side so when we're smoking and parked the smoke isn't on our "chill" side.

I don't see the difference between me smoking meat while driving and you having the smoker outside your house. Both are unmentioned. The difference is mine will be in an enclosed bay with an additional temp sensor so if the bay is warm I'll get a notification, text and email.
Seems you made up your mind before you posted this thread. No sense in keeping it going. Put that sucker in your coach and roll on!

Reactions: cmayna and chp
One thing to consider…anything that produces smoke that comes from your bus will likely result in well intentioned callers reporting your bus on fire. The result will be emergency resources tracking you down and pulling you over. Waste of their time and yours. I respectfully add another ‘no’ vote and hope you reconsider.
"but officer, try one of our ribs before you write that ticket. Yummmm"

Reactions: chp
Usually, one plays with fire one gets burnt. Even with my smokers used outside as intended I have a few body marks. I think you have come to the wrong place for your answer there are I'm authorizes (as we all hate them) that will have to approve this as well as your insurance co.
Would hate see you use loose it because it was not approved. Just my $.02.

Warren

Since I couldn't find out if the exhaust routing would affect smoking and its a new smoker I decided to try it out a bit before starting on the exhaust. It fits perfectly and looks amazing. So far 3 smokes in went great (Ribs, tomahawk steak and brisket). Since electric there's not much smoke so not too worried about the smoke coming out when driving. I have a tray that pulls out and we smoked on that and was worried about that smoke going up and hitting the awnings since they cover the entire length of the rv.

The fridge and smoker fit perfectly but wouldn't work since it was too wide and blocked the door hinge from closing. So put the tools bins in and they fit perfectly as well, plus simple to pull out and reload the briquettes. Only problem is that bay smells amazing and so does every tool so working makes me hungry 😋

Attachments

• 20230421_114930.jpg
    20230421_114930.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 20230421_102420.jpg
    20230421_102420.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 20230419_115250.jpg
    20230419_115250.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 20230421_185357.jpg
    20230421_185357.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 20230412_130858.jpg
    20230412_130858.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 13
Reactions: NefariousTrashMan
Since I couldn't find out if the exhaust routing would affect smoking and its a new smoker I decided to try it out a bit before starting on the exhaust. It fits perfectly and looks amazing. So far 3 smokes in went great (Ribs, tomahawk steak and brisket). Since electric there's not much smoke so not too worried about the smoke coming out when driving. I have a tray that pulls out and we smoked on that and was worried about that smoke going up and hitting the awnings since they cover the entire length of the rv.

The fridge and smoker fit perfectly but wouldn't work since it was too wide and blocked the door hinge from closing. So put the tools bins in and they fit perfectly as well, plus simple to pull out and reload the briquettes. Only problem is that bay smells amazing and so does every tool so working makes me hungry 😋
Thanks for the update!

Good to hear, So you didn't do anything with the exhaust? Sounds like all you have left to do is a road trip

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky