Does smoke exhaust routing need to come out vertical?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'm interested to see what you end up with. Are you planning on having a thermometer in the bay outside of the smoker to monitor for a fire? And then fire proofing the whole bay? Just cause a lot of people say it can't be done, doesn't mean you're not the right guy to prove everyone wrong.

I'm interested to see what you end up with. Are you planning on having a thermometer in the bay outside of the smoker to monitor for a fire? And then fire proofing the whole bay? Just cause a lot of people say it can't be done, doesn't mean you're not the right guy to prove everyone wrong.
The bay is all stainless steel so basically fireproof, also basically air tight too so fire isn't much of an issue. It's also an ELECTRIC smoker so less risk than an oven that's in every motorhome already.

I use these wireless temp sensors that log every minute and alert me of any issues so I'll know if any temp problems. The bay next to it has a 20k massive generator so I'm really not concerned about fire issues.

I'll be updating this soon should have the smoker Monday or tuesday

Reactions: babydocsmoker
..and risk a hole from cheap material? In a motor home???
It's in the basement bay so holes don't really matter especially underneath.
But I was more thinking of having a threaded coupler where the holes are in the coach so their sealed and when I swap it out I just cut the pipe before/after and unthread that part. Could even make it steel and weld the threaded coupler into the bay. Then when replacing the exhaust I just clean that small 1" area real good

One other problem is the venturi effect pull through the smoker from the wind at driving speeds. You will not have a constant flow through the smokehouse if your vent system is manual. This would not be a problem if you are traveling at a constant speed as you can close the vents off to compensate for it....until you slow down or come to a stop at which point you will likely create a lot of thick white smoke.

One other problem is the venturi effect pull through the smoker from the wind at driving speeds. You will not have a constant flow through the smokehouse if your vent system is manual. This would not be a problem if you are traveling at a constant speed as you can close the vents off to compensate for it....until you slow down or come to a stop at which point you will likely create a lot of thick white smoke.
Thanks for the info I'm trying to figure this part out. As long as the intake and/or exhaust isn't pointed forward it should be a non issue. I assumed that would be an issue when installing a small diesel heater with a long exhaust but it wasn't an issue at all and it was very sensitive to air fluctuations. It had a powered fan though.

I'm still contemplating if I should add fans or just leave it manual. Also I'm unsure if the smoker itself has fans at all or not. I'm thinking using a small 12v PC fan on the intake line. This way its positive pressure in the smoker and the exhaust would just work

Highlights from Bradley's P10 instructions........

USE OUTDOORS ONLY
Carbon Monoxide Hazard Warning
• The use or combustion of Bradley Flavored Bisquettes in this product could expose user to chemicals such as carbon monoxide. Unventilated use will increase risk of serious health issues, up to and including death
•Do not leave unattended.
•To avoid smoke and carbon monoxide poisoning, do not use product indoors, use in a well ventilated area.
•Do not use near gasoline or other flammable liquids, gases or where flammable vapors may be present.
Empty water bowl every 2 to 3 hours of burnt wood bisquettes and refill with fresh water After Each Use
• Place extinguished Bradley Flavor Bisquettes® at a safe distance from all structures and combustible materials.

Just sayin............

Thanks for the info I'm trying to figure this part out. As long as the intake and/or exhaust isn't pointed forward it should be a non issue. I assumed that would be an issue when installing a small diesel heater with a long exhaust but it wasn't an issue at all and it was very sensitive to air fluctuations. It had a powered fan though.

I'm still contemplating if I should add fans or just leave it manual. Also I'm unsure if the smoker itself has fans at all or not. I'm thinking using a small 12v PC fan on the intake line. This way its positive pressure in the smoker and the exhaust would just work
Would be cool if you could automate it with your speedometer and calibrate it to dial it in....

• Haha
Reactions: chopsaw
Per Bradley's instruction, there are no fans. Putting one on the exhaust will only accumulate smoke grime on the fan's blades in no time.

Man.. I know how much a Prevost cost... Wish I had that kind of money to take a very high chance of burning it to the ground... And as said above when it comes time to make a insurance claim... or a warranty claim... ''SORRY ABOUT YOUR LUCK'' ... A fool with too much money will soon part...

Yupp it will be in a ventilated area
Per Bradley's instruction, there are no fans. Putting one on the exhaust will only accumulate smoke grime on the fan's blades in no time.
Thanks Craig. I'm thinking putting it in the intake. This will create positive pressure in the case which then will move the exhaust without grime on fan blades.

Man.. I know how much a Prevost cost... Wish I had that kind of money to take a very high chance of burning it to the ground... And as said above when it comes time to make a insurance claim... or a warranty claim... ''SORRY ABOUT YOUR LUCK'' ... A fool with too much money will soon part...
I don't see the risk over an oven, generator or anything else with heat and electricity already in RVs.

Reactions: denny
The bay is all stainless steel so basically fireproof, also basically air tight too so fire isn't much of an issue. It's also an ELECTRIC smoker so less risk than an oven that's in every motorhome already.

I use these wireless temp sensors that log every minute and alert me of any issues so I'll know if any temp problems. The bay next to it has a 20k massive generator so I'm really not concerned about fire issues.

I'll be updating this soon should have the smoker Monday or tuesday
Keep us updated! Looking forward to see what you come up with!!

I wasn't going to respond but just incase other reads this I should make it clear. If I somehow manage to set the coach on fire with the smoker then it absolutely would be covered under insurance. Just like those idiots who use a turkey fryer wrong and burn their house down or use their smoker/grill in their garage and causes fire. Insurance covers accidents regardless if they're an idiot or not.

Now for us this coach is just a toy for us so even if something happens and insurance doesn't cover it, then it's not a big deal

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky