Porketta Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

reinhard

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 6, 2013
Andover Minnesota
Never made porketta sausage before so I had to try it.  I've had porketta pork roasts at times and they were good so why not in sausage form.  Checked out Curley's for the seasoning and got a pack enough for 25 pounds.  Thought I would make some fresh, bulk, and smoked.  So I used cure #1 for the whole batch.  Only thing I added extra was water and dry powdered milk.  End result was that it had a good flavor, much like mild italian.  Here is what I used:

1 pack of porketta sausage seasoning enough for 25 pounds

20 pounds of pork butt

3 pounds of 80/20 ground beef

2 pounds of boneless chicken thighs

5 tsp. cure#1

5 cups of powdered milk

5 1/2 cups of cold water

I ground all the meats once through a medium plate.  Spread the powdered milk on the meat. Mixed the cure and spices in the water and poured that over the meat and mixed everything well.  Left the mix in the fridge overnight for everything to meld together.  Next day I made some fresh links for the grill, some bulk, and smoked about 5 pounds of it.  My wife wanted more bulk for breakfast patties.  Here are some pics:

The meat ready to grind.

You can see the three different meats heading out of the grinder.

Seasonings, cure, water, and powdered milk resting on top of the meat mix.

Everything is all mixed up and the mix has rested overnight in the fridge, and is ready for stuffing.

These are some of the fresh links.  I used my jerky rack and put some waxed paper on it, laid the links on it and then put the rack in my freezer so the links can firm up to be vac packed.

Had to have some of the fresh links for supper that night.  Simmered them in beer and onions.  You can see how pink the links get vs the white look they would have without cure.

After simmering in beer and onions,  the links are getting some grill marks.

Put a link on a bun and some slaw on the side.

Made a bunch of bulk porketta as well for patties and hot dishes.

The last 5 pounds or so, I gave some good smoke.  Mix of maple and oak was used.  Reinhard

You are stocked for the summer it looks like.Good post how do they look cut? 

points.gif

Those look great , I'm Jealous !!!

Gary

Thanks, guy's!! Tropics, I failed to get a money shot this time around.  They were plump and juicy.  Tasted like a mild Italian.  Going to use some of the bulk for pasta dishes.  Reinhard

Thanks, guy's!! Tropics, I failed to get a money shot this time around.  They were plump and juicy.  Tasted like a mild Italian.  Going to use some of the bulk for pasta dishes.  Reinhard
Just seeing how plump they are,I can only imagine the inside.The bulk in a pasta dish,Broccoli Rob comes to my mind.

Thanks again everyone!!! I really appreciate it.  Next up are pepper beef sticks.  Another new flavor.  Can't stop making sausage.  Reinhard

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky