Porker of a Weekend

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

milkman55

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 31, 2016
Canyon Lake, TX
Just had my MES 30 about a month, but it has been busy with about 10 smokes in 30 days.

I was in Costco yesterday and picked up a 13 lb boneless pork butt, a 10 lb pork belly and 5 lbs of sweet Italian Sausage, so 28 lbs of pork goodness.

I started out with cutting the pork belly in half and making 5 lbs of bacon using Bearcarvers dry cure recipe and put it in the frig for the next 8 days.

I cut the other 5 lbs into three smaller pieces and plan to try a few different recipes including at least one using my Anova Sous Vide. I have that one marinating in the frig already.

I then turned my attention to the pork butt and found it was actually two 6.5 lb butts in a bag. I had purchase the butt and sausage to make a Porchetta this weekend for a family gathering.

I took the pork butt that could be butterflied best to roll the Porchetta with 1 1/2 lbs of Italian Sausage inside. I used a recipe from Food Network that used a paste made from olive oil, garlic, parsley, rosemary, sage, fennel and lemon/orange zest.

I laid out the butterflied butt and added kosher salt and fresh black pepper, applied the paste and the added the sausage which I had removed from the casings.

I then rolled up the butt around the sausage and did my best at the first tying job on the Porchetta, then salted and peppered the outside and placed it in a 2 gal Ziplock to marinate overnight.

Goes on the smoker tomorrow morning with the AMNPS lit for a good long smoke. Will update after the smoke with more pictures.

Reactions: ab canuck
Oh wow, That sounds great.  I just googled Porchetta to see what it was all about. It sounds really good. I am really liking the spin on this. I am watching to the end!!!! 

Thanks

One question I would have for the experts is how do you hold over a smoked meat like this if you are three hours away from dinner.  I didn't know exactly how long it would take to smoke given the size, so I started about 8 am this morning for a 6 pm dinner time.  It only took until about 2:30 pm to finish.  I rested it 30 minutes and then double wrapped in foil.   Is it best to heat it back up wrapped in foil in the oven at a lower temp?

Thx. For posting, I am looking into this to try as well, Soo many good ideas and recipes and so little time. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky