pork

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

budro624

Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
For some reason, I ahve been put in charge of cooking for a company cookout here at work.  I have to smoke 50 lbs of boston butt pork roast and 50 lbs of beef to be pulled for sandwiches.  Does anyone have any input or suggestions on a good rub to use and how long to cook it for?  I have a smoker big enough to do it all at once.  I have just never cooked that much at one time before!  hahaha

Thanks for any input!

God Bless!

Buddy

For some reason, I ahve been put in charge of cooking for a company cookout here at work.  I have to smoke 50 lbs of boston butt pork roast and 50 lbs of beef to be pulled for sandwiches.  Does anyone have any input or suggestions on a good rub to use and how long to cook it for?  I have a smoker big enough to do it all at once.  I have just never cooked that much at one time before!  hahaha

Thanks for any input!

God Bless!

Buddy
I have tried several different rubs on pork and beef. Personally, I prefer "Memphis Dust". It is really easy to throw together and makes for some great 'Q. Just google it and you should find it pretty easily.

The boston butts will take about 1.5-2 hours per pound. You can always get them done a few hours early and double foil wrap them and put in a cooler full of towels. They will stay hot for at least 4-5 hours. Not sure what beef you are planning to use. I haven't cooked any beef for pulling, though I have had a brisket or two end up as pulled/shredded when I over cooked it (IT of about 200*).

Good luck to you! Be sure and come back with some Q'View!

I use "Memphis Dust" on pork

3/4 c dark brown sugar

3/4 c white granulated sugar

1/2 c paprika

1/4 c kosher salt

1/4 c garlic powder - decrease a little

2 Tbsp onion powder - increase a little

2 Tbsp black pepper

2 Tbsp ground ginger

2 tsp rosemary powder

Mix all together well and store in covered container

On the beef I like Weber's Steak and Chop 

You really should try Chef Jimmy's Smoked Au Jus 

1- Lg Onion,

4-5 Carrots,

3-4 Ribs Celery

3-4 Peeled Cloves of Garlic

Toss them in a pan under the Beef, and let the whole deal Smoke for one hour, 

THEN  add 4-6 Cups Beef Broth,

2 Tbs Tomato Paste,

1/2 tsp Dry Thyme (4-5 sprigs Fresh)

1-2 ea Bay leaf

Finish the Smoking process to the IT you want.

While the Roast is resting, dump the pan juices veggies and all into a 2-3Qt Sauce pot and add 1Cup Red Wine, something you like to drink, and bring the Jus to a boil, lower the heat and simmer 20-30 minutes. Strain out the veggies and let the Jus rest a minute or so for the Fat to rise. Skim off the bulk of the fat then using strips of paper towel laid on top of the Jus then quickly removed, take off the last little bit of fat.

The purpose of Smoking the Vegetable for 1 hour before adding the Broth and Herbs is...The Smoked vegetables Roast in the Dry heat concentrating their Flavors and Sweetness giving the finished Jus a Richer, Deeper, Full Flavor. 

Serve the sliced Beef Au Jus or thicken the Jus to make Gravy

Reactions: bryce and overbla
The Recipes Alesia gave are Great and I would suggest using Beef Chuck, 4-5Lb pieces will be about 3" thick. Chuck is cheaper than Brisket and MUCH more forgiving, pulls really well. Smoke to an IT of 165*F and then Foil with some Beef Broth or Stout and cook to a finished IT of 195-205*F. Your best bet is to Smoke and Pull all the meat ahead of time pack in large Ziptop Bags, fill no more then 2-3" thick when spread out flat, and refrigerate. When needed reheat in disposable pans, covered in 325*F Oven, with Au Jus in the Beef and some Apple Juice or Finishing Sauce in the Pork...JJ

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky