Pork Tenderloin - Suggestions Please

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

big bad rog

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 27, 2010
Earth
OK, so I came home today and wanted to smoke this nice looking marinated pork tenderloin in the fridge. I didn't. I know, I know, I should have more dedication in my new addiction but I just seasoned my smoker last Sunday afternoon and I was afraid that smoking this small pork tenderloin would take too long and thus make dinner too late for us. (read: possible impatient wife)

So here's my question so I have an idea what I can smoke after work and still eat dinner at a reasonable time during the week: How would you recommend I smoke this small 1-1.5# pork tenderloin? Low at 200 or higher at 275? I usually grill these at approx. 500 for about 10min a side until internal temp is 155 then pull off and lightly wrap in HD foil for 10 minutes - always tender and juicy and well cooked throughout. How long of a smoke would this or pork chops take? I'm sure you guys are smoking on workdays, so what's in your box?

Thanks,

Rog

Personally, I'm not a fan of smoking a pork tenderloin. For the size of the cut, and the type of cut,  to me it's just not worth the effort. It's too small, and too lean to smoke low and slow without drying out. As far as I'm concerned, smoking a pork tenderloin is akin to trying to grill a beef brisket. It's trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

I agree with AK above, I've tried it before and the dryness/texture is less desirable than what you get with grilling.

What kind of grill do you usually cook them on?  For cuts that small, I build a fire on one side of my kettle, sear, and finish indirectly on the cool side.  Throw some smoking chips in your coals for a little smoke.  It can hit 155* in about 45 mintues on my rig.  I'm actually doing 2 myself tomorrow.  You could do this on a gas grill too, just build a foil pouch with some chips for a little smoke.

I would disagree (respectfully) to a certain extent with AK and Big NIck. I smoked one terryaki tenderloin, and one peppercorn tenderloin the other day. It only took a couple hours, and i pulled at the right time to avoid any dryness. People raved about it, and the slight smoke ring was awesome. If you can marinate or inject it, add smoke for an hour maybe, then finish on grill?

I would disagree (respectfully) to a certain extent with AK and Big NIck. I smoked one terryaki tenderloin, and one peppercorn tenderloin the other day. It only took a couple hours, and i pulled at the right time to avoid any dryness. People raved about it, and the slight smoke ring was awesome. If you can marinate or inject it, add smoke for an hour maybe, then finish on grill?
I also agree with this. If you are afraid it is going to dry out wrap it in some bacon dusted with your favorite rub.  Sometimes Mrs Scar does not want to eat the bacon with the pork loin so we pull it and use it for breakfast in an omlette

I wonder if we are talking about the same cut of meat. In my area a tenderloin is typically 2-3" diameter at the wide end and next to nothing at the narrow end and about 8 - 12" long. There is no fat on it whatsoever.

I also agree with this. If you are afraid it is going to dry out wrap it in some bacon dusted with your favorite rub.  Sometimes Mrs Scar does not want to eat the bacon with the pork loin so we pull it and use it for breakfast in an omlette

I wonder if we are talking about the same cut of meat. In my area a tenderloin is typically 2-3" diameter at the wide end and next to nothing at the narrow end and about 8 - 12" long. There is no fat on it whatsoever.

Yup, the exact same thing. They don't take long at all. Slice up a few medallion sized pieces, and they're a great appetizer as well. Most kroger stores have 3 different kinds pre-marinated and they're pretty inexpensive

Here's a nice little recipe you might try http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/100252/loin-apples  

Just remember the
Rules.gif

Don't forget the Q-view!

Thanks guys. 

I guess it can't hurt to experiment with it. When I try it I'll post some q-view w/ details.

AK, do you think that a good marinade can make up for relatively no fat on a small piece of meat?

And Raptor, that loin looks delicious! I like what you did with it!

Thanks guys. 

I guess it can't hurt to experiment with it. When I try it I'll post some q-view w/ details.

AK, do you think that a good marinade can make up for relatively no fat on a small piece of meat?

And Raptor, that loin looks delicious! I like what you did with it!
Marinating can add all sorts of wonderful flavours to the tenderloin. I do it all the time.

I must say though, I learned something as well. I never thought of tenderloin as a cut that should be smoked, loin yes, but not tenderloin. I will give it a try soon.

icon_cool.gif

Now there are alot of good things that you can do to that pork loin. I would recommend using bacon like Scar and the other have said. I also like to butterfly my loins and stuff then with some baby soinach and feta cheese and then roll it back up and tight it and then smoke it. Now it should take more then 2-3 hours to smoke.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/100371/the-journey-to-the-frozen-tundra   Now this is a few things but the stuffed is in the beginning of the thread. Now if you bought the whole loin (I would recommend it) then you can cut it into 3 sections and stuff one section and then make some Canadian Bacon out of another. Then you can simply smoke the other one with the bacon wrapping. Let us know how it comes out and don't forget the Q-view.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky