Pork spare ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fcjasonk03

Original poster
Jul 14, 2019
i have had great success smoking baby back ribs. Was looking for advice or people’s experience smoking spare ribs and if they can be as good as the infamous baby back rib! Thanks in advance for the input

Hi Jason,
Everyone has their own preference. I like spare ribs more than babybacks. I think they're more forgiving and simple to cook on my smoker. I cook them in the 225 to 250 range and judge more by the amount they've pulled back from the bone than by temp, etc. That's usually 4-5 hours.

Reactions: chopsaw
I've been smoking more spares lately than BB's. All the BB's now are labeled "back ribs" and contain more loin meat on top of them. I usually run the 3-2-1 on spares. Like to take them to 195 so they aren't quite fall of the bone but are tender with a clean bite.

Reactions: jac63
I am another who prefers spares, StL cut to be specific. I smoke 'em at @250 for 3 hours, wrap for 1, unwrap & sauce and take them to 195*. Generally takes another 30-45 minutes.

Stl spare 99% of the time - I prefer them over baby back. When I do them for myself usually go unwrapped at 250 for 5-6 hours. When I do them for other people to eat I usually do the 3-2-1 method

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky