PORK SHOULDER?????

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

oar

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 26, 2006
Orchard Park, NY
So, I was at the grocedry today and on sale is what they call a "pork shpulder picnic". It has a bone in, has a fat cap on it, and is on sale for $0.99 a pound. Is this a cut of meat that can be used for doing a pulled pork? I appreciate your guys help.

Matt

Oh p.s. I posted some questions about heat problems and never got any responses...

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=957

Thanks everyone

Absolutely you can use the picnic cut for pulled pork.
It may not have quite the marbling that the butt end would have, and the bone is bigger, but you're getting a good price, so smoke away.
I've done several good pulled pork batches from a picnic cut.

oh yea..make sure you take the pastic cap off of the end of the bone before you heat it up(I didn't notice it the first time)

Rock

Since pinics don't have the fat of butt I would suggest injecting for better finish.

Here is Chris Lilly's prok injection
3/4 cup apple juice
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup salt
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce

1 or 2 oz per pound.
Jim

I went to the grocery store looking for a pork butt. All they had was a pork shoulder boneless roast Royale. It looked like a mess of meat stuffed into mesh. Basically a bag o' meat. It was then wrapped in a sealed plastic bag with an obvious excessive amount of water poured in to increase the weight.

I left it in the case and went home.

A. does anybody what I was looking at?
B. Could I, if I have to, use to smoke and make pulled pork?

I haven't found a real butcher anywhere close by. The grocery stores don't seem to cut their own pork except for pork chops. everything else is prepackaged and labeled from two large, local meat plants.

Beef selections seem limited to whatever they get in a box for the day.

Guess I complained enough.

Scott, from what you discribed it sounds like a boned out pork picnic. Having been a butcher I can honestly say that there is absolutly nothing "Royale" about it. You did the right thing by leaving it in the case and walking away from it.

Today, most meats found in the meat case has been processed at a central facility and shipped out to the stores. The days of being able to walk into a store and going up to the meat department and seeing a short loin primal in the counter and telling the butcher that you "want 4 steaks cut 1 1/2 inches thick" and then being able to watch him/her work is slowly drawing to a close. And in those stores that you can still do that-you're going to pay a primium price for the meat. Another sad fact is that these kids that "work" in a store meat department keeping the cases stocked wouldn't know what a front quarter of beef looks like let alone being able to tell what cuts come from the front quarter.

(Whoa-how did I end up on this soap box?? Sorry for the vent folks! Now back to Smoking Meat Forums!! :oops: )

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky