pork shoulder roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ioulord247

Original poster
Dec 8, 2013
Well, I recently built a smoker out of a 55 gallon barrel and it came out good, a few leaks around the lid but I can control the temp fine. I smoked a turkey for thanksgiving and it was the best I ever ate !

drool.gif

I decided my next victim would be a pork shoulder roast. I don't know why but it came out very very dry and I was disappointed :( . I dry brined it for 2 &1/2 days ( roast was 4.6lbs ) with salt, a tad bit of garlic , brown sugar & lemon pepper. I cranked up my smoker, using compressed coco charcoal, I used a mixture of guava & avocado woods and nothing but plain water in my water pan .  I smoked my roast at 225-230 degrees to 160 internal temp. after I took it out I let it rest an hour before slicing, it looked awesome but was wayyyy to dry....any comments ?

Dry brining can do that to you....especially with pork. The salt will pull the moisture out of a small roast like that and....well, you already found out.

yeah, I been doing a little more reading since & I realize my mistake now, well....live and learn :)  .

Well, I recently built a smoker out of a 55 gallon barrel and it came out good, a few leaks around the lid but I can control the temp fine. I smoked a turkey for thanksgiving and it was the best I ever ate !

drool.gif

I decided my next victim would be a pork shoulder roast. I don't know why but it came out very very dry and I was disappointed :( . I dry brined it for 2 &1/2 days ( roast was 4.6lbs ) with salt, a tad bit of garlic , brown sugar & lemon pepper. I cranked up my smoker, using compressed coco charcoal, I used a mixture of guava & avocado woods and nothing but plain water in my water pan .  I smoked my roast at 225-230 degrees to 160 internal temp. after I took it out I let it rest an hour before slicing, it looked awesome but was wayyyy to dry....any comments ?
We have alot of Avocado trees around how is this wood to cook with?

Dan

I plan to smoke a couple pork shoulder roasts next weekend. Will it be ok to cook it on friday and then serve it saturday? What's the best way to keep it? Plus, should I cut it on Friday and then let it sit in some juice or wait on Saturday, heat up in oven for a bit and then cut it?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky