Pork shoulder or butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

3rivers

Original poster
Nov 24, 2015
Hi guys I have a masterbuilt electric smoker and want to smoker either a shoulder or butt which is a better cut??
Also for people that done this in a mes before what are some tips thinking of doing two 8lbs pieces. Everything I've read online said to use the water tray and use apple cider or water ??
Thanks guys

Shoulder and butt are the same cut. i suggest you do to smokes one with water,or whatever,and one dry to see how you like them.

They seem to be labeled differently these days.

But what your looking for is a pork shoulder/butt. Not a picnic shoulder.

Al

Right at my butchers they have pork butt & shoulder. First doing this wanted tips from anyone that done one in a mes ,like did you soak overnight in a brine , what kind of rub people used , flavorwood chips you use? I like a sweet spicy rub and BBQ sauce myself.

I like the butt, but never turn down a shoulder if the price is good.

Never have brined mine, trim some excess fat, but leave some on, a coating of cheap yellow mustard and sprinkle on the rub of your choice. Wrap it and refrigerate overnight.

As far as the wood.....that is where the fun comes in. Experiment with different wood, some are stronger than others. My favorite is a mix of Cherry and Hickory, about a 65/35 ratio.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky