Pork Shoulder on my new to me WSM

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ellymae

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Mar 21, 2009
Southeastern PA
Had a good time today playing with the WSM.
Used the advice from Saiko and foiled the water pan, then filled with sand, and covered that with more foil.
Filled the charcoal ring with Royal oak, and chunks of cherry.

Rubbed down a 9 pound shoulder with Simply Marvelous Cherry Rub

As I posted earlier in another thread this thing was leaking like a sieve and running a little hot so I plugged up the holes with come aluminum foil.
You can see a little rust on the bottom dial - not bad.

After about 9.5 hours it was sitting at 173

Pulled at about 12 hours - 200 degrees.

All wrapped up and waiting for the game tomorrow....

I the mean time, I cranked up the Egg and did some pizza for dinner.

Thanks for looking, and for the feedback/adise on the WSM!

Hi erain - Nope, it's arugula...

Here's the deal..... I didn't use whole wheat dough on these...

Whole wheat dough.
Blend of Good Asiago, Reggiano, Romano. Equal parts, about 2 cups total. Some buffalo mozzarella

Some fresh mozzarella
Prosciutto
Arugula, fresh(not packaged)
High quality olive oil.
Lay out the dough; brush it lightly with olive oil. Put in oven until it just starts to set.
Add 1/2 of the blended cheese and some dollops of the 2 mozzarellas. Close egg till cheese melts and dough is nearly done.
Cover entire top of pie with prosciutto and close till dough is done and prosciutto is sweating.

toss arugula with olive oil and remaining cheese blend and some cracked black pepper.

place arugula on top of prosciutto/pizza. close lid for about 20 seconds. remove pie and serve hot.

/ message sig

WOW

I'm not sure I could say that one looks better then the other. If it was me, I would have to eat both.

Very nice work.

Thankis Tom - have to admit, we did tuck into the shoulder a bit....

Your butt looks great but that pizza has me drooling!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Glad to hear the WSM treated you well. Was thinking if it was leaking around the lid.... see if you can find some flat woodstove felt or gasket. Run a ring of it around where the lid sits using some hight temp stove gasket glue. Just orient it so the flat is pinched between the bottom edge of the lid and the body. Shouldn't affect the fit of the lid other than it would sit a tad higher, but should hopefully seal up the leaks.

..... and the pizza looks AWESOME! Love puttin greens on a pizza!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky