Pork Shoulder on a Weber Charcoal Rotisserie, is it worth while?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pa pitmaster

Original poster
Jul 4, 2011
Erie, PA
I just received the rotisserie attachment for my 22 1/2" Weber OTS, and was wondering if anyone has ever done pork shoulder on it? I'm very tempted to try it out, but I'm afraid that once its toward the end of the cook it might start to fall off the spit. Has anyone ever done one on the weber rotisserie? If so, how did it turn out? Any suggestions or pointers?

Tie it with Butcher's twine , then put it on the spit. Just a thought
45.gif

Have fun and...

I have one for my Weber performer for over 6 years, I have cook just about everything with the rotisserie attachment. Chickens, Turkeys, port Butts, Pork shoulders, pork hams (raw). Game Hens. Anything that I can
icon_twisted.gif
 poke I cook with it. I also do a Stuff pork Shoulder that comes out awesome. Oh and by the way I never used any Butcher's twine, the forks do a good job of holding the meat together.

Let me  help you out here, so you will be happy with this rig. First do not fill the charcoal trays, just half way and add as you need. Why you ask?

Because the ring fits very loose on top of the kettle and you will see a lot off smoke and heat coming out around the ring. and even tho you close the vent on the lid you do not have control over the smoke and heat exiting around the kettle and if you fill the baskets with charcoal the temp will spike very high 400 to 500* F.

Now there is a fix for this, I bought a roll of aluminum tape I think it's primary use is to seal AC ducks in attics etc..

I apply it around the ring and it seals the ring and the kettle together, now after applying the tape you will have better heat control witch is necessary to cook the pork and poultry for hours so it will come out very tender. I cook poultry at around 220 to 250. Pork 250 to 300  first hour  then down to 220  for the rest of the time. Even tho I have the tape sealing the ring and kettle I still fill the charcoal baskets half way, this leaves you some room to add wood for smoke flavor Oh and use a aluminum drip pan in the middle to catch the dripping and keep ever thing moist. I will look for one of my videos latter and try to attach it here so you can see the tape on and the rig in action. I can't attch a video from my computer send me a pm with your email and I will send it to you.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky