Pork shoulder ending late tonight. Food safety questions on finish/rest period

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

spohnat

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 15, 2016
Costco had pork shoulder for $1.99 a lb. So I bought a 14lb that was two pieces. smoked one and froze the other half. Using the mes and amazen tray/tubes, Katz mustard rub and Jeff's rub. Wrapped at 11.5 hours in butcher paper that was put back into the MES at 275. Currently at 166 and 175 between the two probes (post stall). I know this wont finish until late tonight. What are my options on finishing while staying safe.

How long can one put a wrapped shoulder in a cooler with blankets? Could i pull, go to bed and shred tomorrow AM.
If it takes its sweet time, any harm in turning the temp down to 210 and lettting it go all night (beyond wasting energy).
Would I be better to use oven to finish at higher temp or do overnight. crock pot overnight is another option. dutch oven cast iron. etc

The good news is I will have pulled pork for breakfast. I also smoked some shrimp today that we had for dinner. Pics below with one of the furry helpers.

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_9971.jpg
    IMG_9971.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_9970.jpg
    IMG_9970.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_9969.jpg
    IMG_9969.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_9966.jpg
    IMG_9966.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_9968.jpg
    IMG_9968.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 45
There’s a lot of options and obviously you know what those are. I have done the towel in cooler trick many times. I have even wrapped a couple more towels around the outside of the cooler for an overnight rest. I’ll wake up early, to the smell of BBQ pork shoulder, and it’s been the perfect pulling temp. I suppose it all depends on your cooler. I use a small one that only fits 2 shoulders/butts if I cut them up in a couple chunks.

I see Chef Jimmy (RIP) already answered that I can leave this wrapped in the cooler w towels overnight. Gues my question is if I transfer to the oven now, how much higher can i go via the oven w/o hurting the meat.

Reactions: schlotz
I normally run my smoker at 275-280* for butts, so I really wouldn't have any issue with foiling and pushing up over 300* to finish in the oven. You really have to work at it to mess pulled pork up.

Reactions: Sven Svensson
This may be a stupid question but when you talk about wrapping it and resting in cooler, what are you wrapping the meat in?

I prefer butcher paper as it helps retain the bark on smoked meat. Tinfoil has also been used but can remove some of the bark when unwrapping. I wrap it a couple of times with whatever I use (as some juice always leaks). Then in towels. The towels are to help fill the cooler and retain the heat. you will lose heat more quickly if you put a wrapped meat in an empty cooler. The more you fill the cooler, the more the heat retention stays.

Thanks for the tips! 11 hours in and she’s sitting at 189.

How in the hell did the one guy cook his in 7 hours?!?!?

low and slow is the answer 99% of the time (poultry is the exception) and gives you the best bark. you'll see with the cooler treatment, your meat stays hot for a long time. I am team make it a day ahead and store vs trying to time it for say a party.

Reactions: mmckinney331
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky