Pork Shashlik

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pushok2018

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Oct 12, 2017
San Francisco East Bay area, CA
The name "Shashlik" came (to my knowledge) from Georgia (former Soviet Republic). Authentic shashlik has to be cooked using ONLY lamb meat but lamb meat in USA (or Australia or New Zealand) is not exactly the same what it was in former Soviet Union.... I am sorry but... that lamb meat had more fat in it and had more taste... Or... maybe I was younger???? :-) Aslo, as soon as lamb meat was more expensive than pork (and I am talking about 80's and 90's), we had to adapt to cooking shashlik using pork meat and... it wasn't that bad at all!! Shashlik is basically meat (whatever it is) marinated using vinegar or tomato juice with diced onion, parsley, silantro, BP, sault and some paprika.
This happened that my local supermarket had port shoulder country style ribs on sale for .99 cents for a pound and I just couldn't pass on it.
Marinated for 6 hours with tomato juice and ... on skewers...

IMG_2670.jpg

"Mangal" with cherry chunks is getting ready.... Shashlik has to be cooked on a "mangal" which I brought to USA in 1995 on my way from the trip from my native country Kazakhstan... where I was borned .... This mangal is portable and is made of titanium.... and it's still almost like new...
IMG_2675.jpg

Skewers on Mangal....
IMG_2678.jpg

Almost done....
IMG_2683.jpg

Ready to serve....

IMG_2684.jpg

Covered with red onion marinated with some vinegar... Not too much of vinegar - just some.... And ready to eat... Sooooo good... very tender, juice.... Like from my childhood....

IMG_2686.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2684.jpg
    IMG_2684.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 2
lamb is less than 1 yr old after that its Mutton.. the lamb i buy is from new Zealand from sams club. usa lamb is older unlike other countries, where they cant have incisor's

Last edited:
All I can say is it looks dang good! Would be proud to help you make it disappear! Thanks for sharing

Ryan

Reactions: pushok2018
Wow. Great job. My fat glands are sweating over here. Looks pretty darn good from here!!!

Sounds and looks great. Are you will to share a more detailed recipe? I would like to try it.
Lamb has always been much more expensive than Pork where I grew up on the East Coast of the US...JJ

Reactions: pushok2018
All I can say is it looks dang good! Would be proud to help you make it disappear! Thanks for sharing
Thank you, Ryan! I'll keep that in mind for next time! :emoji_laughing: Thank you for the like!
Wow. Great job. My fat glands are sweating over here. Looks pretty darn good from here!!!
Thank you, John! It was very tasty....
Sounds and looks great. Are you will to share a more detailed recipe? I would like to try it.
Lamb has always been much more expensive than Pork where I grew up on the East Coast of the US.
Thank you, jimmyj! I appreciate your like! About the recipe.... In fact, there is a recipe which can be find in special culinary books but I never followed them. Many years ago, in my teen years I was told by one old chef, who specialized in cooking of this dish, how to properly make shashlik. Since then I do it just how I was told: salt and pepper by taste, little of paprika, vinegar just enough to soak meat overnight (never ever allow the meat to swim in vinegar or tomato juice), onion, parsley and cilantro as much as you want but just use common sense.... One more thing: if you use tomato juice - meat cannot be marinated longer than 6 hours. 4-6 hours will be enough otherwise the meat will be overpowered with tomato juice.... Best shashlik should be made of lamb meat. Pork meat is absolutely awesome. I wouldn't recommend beef meat for this because you'll get very dry and not very tender product.That about it.... Hope this give an idea....
Wow that looks amazing!
Thank you, xray! I appreciate your like!

Last edited:
I understand completely and Thank You. My Polish Grandmother taught recipes like that. Watch and learn...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky