Pork roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bigpuddin43

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
Central Kentucky
I have a pork roast beast I can tell cut from a ham from the whole hog I got this spring. What’s your thoughts on smoking. Cool to 145 like a loin or take it to 185 like a shoulder?

Reactions: JLeonard
Since ham comes from the hind leg of a hog, I'm thinking that you probably have a picnic shoulder.
If you want to slice it, then you're looking at an IT between 175°F and 185°F.
For pulled pork your're looking at an IT between 195°F and 200°F.

It does say shoulder roast so you are correct I hadn’t looked at the label other than seeing roast when we first got it. I am thinking about trying pork burnt ends with it. Got it rubbed down and on the smoker. Gonna take it to 150-160 and then cut it up and put some sauce on it and finish it off after that and see how it turns out.

It does say shoulder roast so you are correct I hadn’t looked at the label other than seeing roast when we first got it. I am thinking about trying pork burnt ends with it. Got it rubbed down and on the smoker. Gonna take it to 150-160 and then cut it up and put some sauce on it and finish it off after that and see how it turns out.
Sounds like a plan!

Attachments

• C2F9F333-97FC-4D85-9DFC-A963966C087F.jpeg
    C2F9F333-97FC-4D85-9DFC-A963966C087F.jpeg
    222.3 KB · Views: 12
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky