Pork or Beef?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokin joker

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 7, 2014
Cincinnati, Ohio
For some time, I would always seek out pork ribs. Whether it be baby back or spare ribs, pork was always what I would look for. The only reason I did that is because that's what all the restaurants (around here anyway) and all the backyard warriors would make. Beef ribs are also much more difficult to find here in Ohio for some reason. So, beef never entered the equation.

So one day I decided to try beef ribs just to see how horrible they were compared to the pork variety. What I discovered is that beef ribs, in my opinion, are vastly superior to pork ribs. The texture, the depth of flavor, the appearance, everything is just so much better. Again, this is just my opinion and of course so much of it depends on preparation and cooking technique.

Needless to say, I look for the beef ribs over the pork every time.

So am I alone here? What do you guys think?

And while you're thinking, here's what I've been working on...

Last edited:
Pork ribs....especially from Costco. Usually, here in the PNW, not enough meat on those beef ribs to warrant the 2 bucks a pound. Now, a 'short rib' might be OK for a change of pace....but I do prefer piggy.

That's a good point, Willie. I've had some beef ribs with barely a bite on them. Other times, like in the picture I posted, I get my money's worth. We need to start feeding these cows!

those are good looking beef ribs I have yet to buy any that looked that good.

My wife likes the beef I gona have to stick with the pig for now

Maybe the debate has nothing to do with ribs. Maybe it comes down to sweet vs. savory. I make my pork sweet and my beef savory and I've just always been more of a savory foods guy.

Maybe the debate has nothing to do with ribs. Maybe it comes down to sweet vs. savory. I make my pork sweet and my beef savory and I've just always been more of a savory foods guy.
Here we eat about the same amount of each.I just about always grill/smoke with pork and beef at the same time.I do agree on the Sweet and Savory.

Dan

I like porky myself. As said earlier NW beef ribs are mainly bone and not worth the time. If I ever find some worth it I'd have no problem trying it. I smoke beef and enjoy it just not bone rib, I mean beef rib..........lol

Can't go wrong with either one, but I do tend to favor beef, if I can get them from the butcher. Just not much meat on the ones they put out for the monthly sale.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky