Pork Loin Roast w/ Porketta Rub

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

xray

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 11, 2015
Northeast PA
A long time ago, in a forum far away, I posted a smoked pork tenderloin with a porketta rub that I mixed together. The rub was different, and you either loved it or hated it. I liked it, my wife hated it since it is heavy on the fennel. Recently, tropics tropics made a post using it. He has used it before, and got me in the mood to make it again. Since my wife is away at the Harrisburg Craft Show, I figured I'd make it again.

Here's the old post with the rub. Pork Tenderloin w/ Porketta Rub.

A bought a small pork loin roast for $3 and decided to make the rub again. I changed it up a bit this time. Here's how I made it today.

3T Dill
1T Fennel seed
2t. Oregano
2t. Garlic powder
1t Salt
1t Onion powder
1t. Black pepper
1/2t. Thyme

All ingredients were ground to a finer consistency. In the past, I've left the rub much coarser but since I was searing the pork loin, I decided to make the rub finer.

First, the pork loin roast was rubbed with the aforementioned rub and seared in a hot pan on all sides...Out of the sear:
IMG_3579.jpg

Next, I placed the pork into a 325F oven, until an IT of 140F was reached. My Inkbird says it's done! This took about 35 minutes:
IMG_3582.jpg

Here it is out of the oven, my final IT was 149F from the carryover heat:
IMG_3583.jpg

While the pork roast was resting, I went ahead and made an arugula salad to go along with it:
IMG_3581.jpg

Grate two cloves of garlic into a small bowl, add olive oil, salt and pepper. Take a bunch of arugula and tear it into a bowl. I added freshly grated Asiago and Pecorino Romano cheese. Add your olive oil concoction ( as much as or little as you want, I like mine barely "wet"). Mix well and then squeeze fresh lemon juice into the salad and add more black pepper to taste. This arugula mix that I bought contained Sorrel (a sour, lemony green) so I went really, really, really light on the lemon juice. Probably didn't even need it, but I bought it so I'm using it...plus the salad will be part of tomorrow's smoked meatloaf.

Dinner is served. Porketta rubbed Pork loin with Arugula salad and some spicy pickled turnips.

IMG_3587.jpg

This was pretty tasty for a quick meal on the fly. Thanks for looking,

Joe

Attachments

• IMG_3587.jpg
    IMG_3587.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 9
WOW , standing ovarion!! I love fennel and will be trying this for sure. The salad sounds and looks phenomenal and I LOVE pickled turnip!! I’d buy that meal anytime I saw it on a menu!

Looks great, especially that outer layer. Fennel is truly awesome. Now I’ll have to try this on a tenderloin!

Looks great. I would have to side with your Wife. Not a huge fan of Fennel Seed. I'll eat it in Italian Sausage if not too strong a flavor. Looking at Porchetta recipes online, they all seem to use a ton of Fennel.
What's interesting, the rest of the flavors in the rub, especially Dill and Garlic, are the dominant flavors of the Porchetta I grew up eating at Grandma's in Eynon, PA, East of Scranton. In that area of the Coal Region, the population is predominantly Polish and Italian. It's possible the Dill, common in Polish dishes, replaced Fennel to broaden the customer base and increase sales.
Whatever happened, I love it. Now I will have to give your Rub a shot, sans Fennel, of course...JJ

Joe That is a fantastic looking meal an I know it taste Awesome!! Thanks for the mention my wife is in Fla. for a few days. POINTS
Richie

Last edited:
Looks great. Not a huge fennel seed fan either in large amounts. I prefer to grind them slightly if I can get away with it.

Wow Joe, another great looking meal!! I gotta chime in with other folks though about the fennel. I like it in small doses but not large quantities. Ditto that with the thyme. I believe that with a couple of quick adjustments this could be outstanding!!

Big LIKE and congrats on the carousel ride!! Very much deserved my friend.

Robert

I do not see this on the carousel ?
Cleared my cache twice any one else having this issue?
Richie

I do not see this on the carousel ?

I had the same issue earlier. I was seeing the "Featured" notation by several threads that weren't visible to me on the carousel. It seems to have cleared up though and is back to normal....sort of.

Robert

That loin looks great Joe, and next to spinach - turnip is a favorite veggie of mine. Never had it pickled usually I just eat it in it's raw form cut into spears.

Point for sure
Chris

WOW , standing ovarion!! I love fennel and will be trying this for sure. The salad sounds and looks phenomenal and I LOVE pickled turnip!! I’d buy that meal anytime I saw it on a menu!

Thanks for the ovarian Jcam lol, I appreciate it. We eat the salad quite a bit, it's just a few ingredients and takes no time to prepare. We like to eat it as a side.

The pickled turnips are delicious, I snack on them all winter, I think they're better than a cucumber because of the crunch factor. These were the best batch yet since I used some of tx smoker tx smoker pepper mix.

Looks great, especially that outer layer. Fennel is truly awesome. Now I’ll have to try this on a tenderloin!

Thanks Jcap, like fennel too! I toned it down on this rub, I'll have to run it by the wife and she if she likes it better this way.

Looks great. I would have to side with your Wife. Not a huge fan of Fennel Seed. I'll eat it in Italian Sausage if not too strong a flavor. Looking at Porchetta recipes online, they all seem to use a ton of Fennel.
What's interesting, the rest of the flavors in the rub, especially Dill and Garlic, are the dominant flavors of the Porchetta I grew up eating at Grandma's in Eynon, PA, East of Scranton. In that area of the Coal Region, the population is predominantly Polish and Italian. It's possible the Dill, common in Polish dishes, replaced Fennel to broaden the customer base and increase sales.
Whatever happened, I love it. Now I will have to give your Rub a shot, sans Fennel, of course...JJ

Thank you JJ! I haven't had true porchetta since I was a kid. I remember my grandmother would roll up a roast with fennel, loose sausage and garlic. It looked like a pinwheel. Sadly, that one is lost to time.

I'm half Polish and half Italian, it's funny how in this area there is a sharp contrast in food and ethnicity within a few miles drive. We always joked that I-80 was the dividing line between in Luzerne County because people a few miles above and below that line never heard of customs and traditions in their own area.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
WOW!
What a great looking meal!
Nicely done!
Al
Looks great. Not a huge fennel seed fan either in large amounts. I prefer to grind them slightly if I can get away with it.
Wow Joe, another great looking meal!! I gotta chime in with other folks though about the fennel. I like it in small doses but not large quantities. Ditto that with the thyme. I believe that with a couple of quick adjustments this could be outstanding!!

Big LIKE and congrats on the carousel ride!! Very much deserved my friend.

Robert

Thank you for the kind words and compliments guys. Yeah it's definitely a hit or miss rub, no hard feelings if nobody likes it.

Nice looking meal there Joe!

John
That pork roast looks perfect to me...LIKE!

Thanks John and Eddie, I appreciate it. Didn't take much to get it out on the table.

Joe That is a fantastic looking meal an I know it taste Awesome!! Thanks for the mention my wife is in Fla. for a few days. POINTS
Richie

Thanks Richie! I appreciate the like. No problem with the mention, you got the bug in my head to make it. I believe you cut back the fennel as well, right?

• Love
Reactions: tropics
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky