Pork Loin - Pan or No Pan

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pbrown86

Original poster
Jun 11, 2015
I will be smoking a boneless pork loin this weekend in my MES 30. I am planning to use apple chips. I am planning to smoke until ~140F and then letting it rest. I have seen some threads where folks recommend smoking it in a pain with chicken broth or apple juice and others that prefer to just have a drip tray underneath. Any experience which turns out juicier and what downsides of smoking it directly on the rack have?

I would (and do) smoke it with a drip tray underneath to collect the juices. If you wanted to add some subtle flavor, you could add an additional pan of apple juice or put the juice in the drip pan. In my experience (and others may differ), cooking meat in a pan with liquid does not provide any additional flavor but does interfere with smoke getting to all sides of the meat.

That said, there are many different ways to do things and you should try it both ways to see which way you prefer. And after you try it both ways, let us know what you prefer.

Thanks! Since boneless pork loin is a lean meat, does it still end up juicy if its not smoked in a pan?

You can smoke one just fine with no pan, and like oddegan said, 140F IT max. I always use a pan because I'm never serving a pork loin without a sauce. I prefer to smoke-roast pork loins with liquids, fruit, and preserves I can use to make a sauce and spoon over the pork.

Thanks! Will let y'all know how it turns out. Any good rub recommendations?

I only use a pan to catch drippings, probably to late but couldn't you inject with apple juice to get the flavor your looking for, or make a apple bbq. sauce

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky