1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

pork loin or pork roast

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by stiffyman, Mar 7, 2007.

1. stiffyman

stiffyman Smoke Blower

NM
    needs some opinions on which is better slow smoked?

2. smokyokie

smokyokie Smoking Fanatic

What type of pork roast? Pork loin can be pork roast, so can butt. Any good sized chunk of pork can bee slow smoked, it's only a matter of degree of doneness that varies from cut to cut.

Tim

3. short one

short one Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

IMHO both are good smoked, the loin will be the leaner meat of the two, but either is very good eating when you are finished. Steve

4. cajunsmoker

cajunsmoker Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I think loin is best if I want to slice it up for sandwich meat, but Butts are the king for making pulled pork.

5. deejaydebi

deejaydebi Legendary Pitmaster

Yep - It definately depends on wha you plan to do with it once smoked.
    agree with Cajun - I like to pull butts and slice loins!

[​IMG]

6. larry maddock

larry maddock Master of the Pit OTBS Member

yo stiffy dude,
    i m o

what cajunsmoker and dj debi says is the way to good sandy's[​IMG]

7. t-bone tim

t-bone tim Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Yep,I agree with all of the above,great job folkes ,T-bone.

8. If doing a loin, I would get some High Mountain buckboard bacon seasoning and make Canadian bacon. It is really good. Boston Butt for pulled pork.

Scott

9. stiffyman

stiffyman Smoke Blower

NM
    very good comments, im still very new to this forum, but im addicted I have learned so much already, I converted this 1938 vintage Frigadaire refrigerator, I tested it last week, smoked some baby back ribs, used the 3-2-1 method, talk about fall off the bone, this weekend im haveing a party and the friend that gave me the refer i converted is comming so i want to impress them, im doing smoked sausage(by the way do we refer to them as fatties here?) and 2 pork butt roasts, i have smoked chicken and turkey and used a brine with much sucess, dont know if these pork butts will benefit with a brine but by saturday they will have been in the brine for about 30 hrs, ill let you all know, i will insert garlic cloves thru slits i cut in the roast and a rub. party starts at 5:00 pm so i plan on putting the meat on about 530 am. im excited

10. pigcicles

pigcicles Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

stiffyman, congrats on the ribs, glad they came out for you. Sounds like you're gonna make a BIG impression with the cook you have planned. You asked about fatties... fatties are breakfast sausage chubs, everything else you can refer to by name e.g. Polish sausage, summer sausage, pepperoni, salami etc.

You usually don't have to brine pork butts, but hey it's your world and it won't hurt. Just hope you didn't use too much salt. Easy on the salt in the rub. How big are the butts? Be sure to allow for a minimum of 1.5 hrs per pound to allow them to finish. Good Luck

Keep Smokin

11. stiffyman

stiffyman Smoke Blower

NM
    thanks there both about 5 lbs, the sausage is that type you can get at most grocery stores is not breakfast sausage