• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

pork loin or pork roast

smokyokie

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Sep 26, 2006
What type of pork roast? Pork loin can be pork roast, so can butt. Any good sized chunk of pork can bee slow smoked, it's only a matter of degree of doneness that varies from cut to cut.

Tim

short one

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 9, 2007
IMHO both are good smoked, the loin will be the leaner meat of the two, but either is very good eating when you are finished. Steve

cajunsmoker

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined May 21, 2006
I think loin is best if I want to slice it up for sandwich meat, but Butts are the king for making pulled pork.

deejaydebi

Legendary Pitmaster
Joined Nov 18, 2006
Yep - It definately depends on wha you plan to do with it once smoked.
agree with Cajun - I like to pull butts and slice loins!

larry maddock

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Sep 27, 2005
yo stiffy dude,
i m o

what cajunsmoker and dj debi says is the way to good sandy's

t-bone tim

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 24, 2007
Yep,I agree with all of the above,great job folkes ,T-bone.

bluefrog

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Feb 3, 2006
If doing a loin, I would get some High Mountain buckboard bacon seasoning and make Canadian bacon. It is really good. Boston Butt for pulled pork.

Scott

stiffyman

Smoke Blower
Joined Feb 18, 2007
very good comments, im still very new to this forum, but im addicted I have learned so much already, I converted this 1938 vintage Frigadaire refrigerator, I tested it last week, smoked some baby back ribs, used the 3-2-1 method, talk about fall off the bone, this weekend im haveing a party and the friend that gave me the refer i converted is comming so i want to impress them, im doing smoked sausage(by the way do we refer to them as fatties here?) and 2 pork butt roasts, i have smoked chicken and turkey and used a brine with much sucess, dont know if these pork butts will benefit with a brine but by saturday they will have been in the brine for about 30 hrs, ill let you all know, i will insert garlic cloves thru slits i cut in the roast and a rub. party starts at 5:00 pm so i plan on putting the meat on about 530 am. im excited

pigcicles

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 25, 2006
stiffyman, congrats on the ribs, glad they came out for you. Sounds like you're gonna make a BIG impression with the cook you have planned. You asked about fatties... fatties are breakfast sausage chubs, everything else you can refer to by name e.g. Polish sausage, summer sausage, pepperoni, salami etc.

You usually don't have to brine pork butts, but hey it's your world and it won't hurt. Just hope you didn't use too much salt. Easy on the salt in the rub. How big are the butts? Be sure to allow for a minimum of 1.5 hrs per pound to allow them to finish. Good Luck

Keep Smokin

stiffyman

Smoke Blower
Joined Feb 18, 2007
thanks there both about 5 lbs, the sausage is that type you can get at most grocery stores is not breakfast sausage

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.