Pork Loin Jerky (Step by Step with Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Curing & Seasoning Brine (Per pound of Meat):
Worcestershire Original——————1/2 ounce
White Wine————————————1/2 ounce
Water———————————————1 ounce

So if my math is right, for an 8lb loin that'll be one cup of water, and half cup each of Worcestershire and white wine?

So if my math is right, for an 8lb loin that'll be one cup of water, and half cup each of Worcestershire and white wine?

Actually that would be:
Tender Quick———————————4 TBS
Brown Sugar———————————6 TBS
Black Pepper———————————8 tsp
Cayenne—————————————2 tsp
Garlic Powder——————————4 tsp
Onion Powder——————————4 tsp
Ground Ginger——————————4 tsp
Worcestershire Original——————4 ounce
White Wine————————————4 ounce
Water———————————————8 ounce

Bear

Actually that would be:
Tender Quick———————————4 TBS
Brown Sugar———————————6 TBS
Black Pepper———————————8 tsp
Cayenne—————————————2 tsp
Garlic Powder——————————4 tsp
Onion Powder——————————4 tsp
Ground Ginger——————————4 tsp
Worcestershire Original——————4 ounce
White Wine————————————4 ounce
Water———————————————8 ounce

Bear

understood, but i quoted only the part that i wanted confirmation, i.e. 1 ounces of water/liquid per pound of meat, comes out to 1 cup for an 8lb loin?

Last edited:
The 1st post explains how much of each per lb of meat

my math was off on my last post (which you quoted, and which i later fixed). so for anyone else curious and wanting confirmation, one ounce of fluid is 1/8 of a cup, so 8 fluid ounce equals one cup, therefore for an 8 pound loin you'd need one cup of water.

understood, but i quoted only the part that i wanted confirmation, i.e. 1 ounces of water/liquid per pound of meat, comes out to 1 cup for an 8lb loin?

I knew that, but covering my butt, I put all the ingredients down, so nobody can take those 3 ingredients out of context on one of my posts. And yes there are 8 oz of water in a cup.

Bear

I knew that, but covering my butt, I put all the ingredients down, so nobody can take those 3 ingredients out of context on one of my posts. And yes there are 8 oz of water in a cup.

Bear

Hey, you learn something new everyday !!:emoji_open_mouth:

Gary

The Pork Loin is such a Perfect Cut of meat for Jerky.
Once you remove the thin fatty exterior portion, you have a really large long hunk of Fat Free solid meat from the bigger side, just perfect for Jerky!!
Gotta Love It !!
Bear

is it best to trim the fat, then freeze it overnight to get it ready to be sliced? or freeze it, then trim it? i plan to make this when my new slicer arrives tomorrow.

is it best to trim the fat, then freeze it overnight to get it ready to be sliced? or freeze it, then trim it? i plan to make this when my new slicer arrives tomorrow.

I find it best to trim off all the stuff you don't want. Then put it in the freezer for 3 or 4 hours. Then slice it.
I don't freeze it solid before slicing.

Bear

Pork Loin Jerky (Step by Step with Pics)

I saw this done by at least 3 different guys, so I combined the things they did, and came up with what I did below.

Pork Loin (not Pork Tenderloin) is a very lean cut of meat, which is what you want for Jerky, and it costs less than half as much as Lean Beef. This Loin was $1.68 LB.

I made a few changes in what I actually did to make it even better than my first batch came out.

So I began with about 6 pounds of Boneless Pork Loin. I trimmed off everything that wasn’t nice solid red meat. You can save the trimmings for sausage or anything that suits your fancy. Then I sliced it all into 1/4” thick slices. Then I mixed up the following batch of Curing & Seasoning Brine:

Tender Quick———————————1/2 TBS
Brown Sugar———————————3/4 TBS
Black Pepper———————————1 tsp
Cayenne—————————————1/4 tsp
Garlic Powder——————————1/2 tsp
Onion Powder——————————1/2 tsp
Ground Ginger——————————1/2 tsp

Mix this all real good, until the Brown sugar dissolves.

Then I drop 1 piece at a time into the Marinade (Brine), to be sure each piece gets a good coating on both sides, and from there into the Ziplock bag.
After all pieces have been tossed into the bag, I dumped the rest of the Marinade into the bag with the meat (not much left).
Then I put that bag on a tray (in case of a leak), and into the fridge for 24 hours.
During that 24 hours, I flip the bag over every 2 hours, and reach inside the bag a couple times to stir the pieces around, so the inside pieces get a turn on the outside.
Then after 24 hours, I rinse all the pieces off & put them on paper towels to pat dry.

Now it’s time to put in Smoker:
8:00—————Put all pieces on top 4 racks of my 6 rack MES 40. (I put Frog Mats & Q-Mats on racks first)
8:00—————Start Smoker & set to maintain 140° of heat.
8:30—————Fill two rows of my AMNS with Hickory Dust, and light one end.
10:00————-Put AMNS on bottom rack on left end (away from heating element)
12:00————-Bump heat up to maintain 150° of heat.
4:00—————All pieces are dark reddish color, and they crack when bent, without breaking.
4:00—————Remove from Smoker & take in house, lay out to cool.

Then put all the pieces in a big Zip lock, leave the bag open and put in fridge over night.

Next day I kept a few pieces and gave all the rest to my Son. He loves Jerky!!

This stuff really is Great, and so much cheaper than Beef Jerky!

Thanks for looking, and enjoy the Pics.

Bear

About two thirds of a Boneless Pork Loin after trimming down to pure Red Meat only:
View attachment 340022

All sliced up into 1/4” slices of 4 pounds, 8 ounces of Pork Loin:
View attachment 340023

Mixing up my Curing & Seasoning Brine:
View attachment 340024

Each piece goes into the Brine one at a time:
View attachment 340025

Then each piece goes into the Ziplock:
View attachment 340026

All 4.5 pounds goes into the fridge for 24 hours, flipping & mixing every 2 hours:
View attachment 340027

4 Racks full goes into my MES 40:
View attachment 340028

Some of the pieces cooling before bagging:
View attachment 340029

A plate full of Great Tasting Pork Jerky:
View attachment 340030

I made a batch of this today & I have to say u hit another home run. It was a PITA with the weather we r having. Pretty much had to babysit. First time making in my Smoke Hollow.

Thanks for step by step. Will be doing more.

I made a batch of this today & I have to say u hit another home run. It was a PITA with the weather we r having. Pretty much had to babysit. First time making in my Smoke Hollow.

Small world. I made this today too. Winds gusts up to 26mph in northern VA caused a alot of temp swings in my smoker. But my propane PID controller worked flawlessly. I did a 12 hour marinade and it had just enough saltiness.

One odd thing was that I had a alot of leftover marinade (with 2 pounds of meat and 4 cups of liquid). The recipe directions said there wouldn't be much left.

Small world. I made this today too. Winds gusts up to 26mph in northern VA caused a alot of temp swings in my smoker. But my propane PID controller worked flawlessly. I did a 12 hour marinade and it had just enough saltiness.

One odd thing was that I had a alot of leftover marinade (with 2 pounds of meat and 4 cups of liquid). The recipe directions said there wouldn't be much left.

Apparently you didn't use my Marinade Recipe. Below is mine from the first post on this Thread:
There is a total liquid content of 2 ounces per pound.
So your marinade should have been a total of 4 ounces, for your 2 pounds of meat.
Maybe you mistakenly changed Ounces to cups?

Tender Quick———————————1/2 TBS
Brown Sugar———————————3/4 TBS
Black Pepper———————————1 tsp
Cayenne—————————————1/4 tsp
Garlic Powder——————————1/2 tsp
Onion Powder——————————1/2 tsp
Ground Ginger——————————1/2 tsp

Bear

OMG i'm such an idiot that i can't do simple recipe math. :-/ thanks for clearing that up. even using all that excess liquid, it turned out great! so there's that...

Then I put that bag on a tray (in case of a leak), and into the fridge for 24 hours.
During that 24 hours, I flip the bag over every 2 hours, and reach inside the bag a couple times to stir the pieces around, so the inside pieces get a turn on the outside.
Then after 24 hours, I rinse all the pieces off & put them on paper towels to pat dry.

I hope no one minds me butting in here, I have a question!!

Bearcarver, regarding your Pork Loin Jerky:
In your step by step you marinate for 24 hours.
Would there be a problem with marinating longer than that? Like 4-5 days?

I am prepping a pork loin today according to your Canadian Bacon Dry Cured step by step procedure. I hadn't seen your recipe for pork loin jerky before now, and just decided I wanted to use some of the loin for that recipe. However, weather for the next 3 days looks bad, not conducive to using my smoker, so I would have to marinate much longer than 24 hr. Alternatively, I could hold that portion of the loin in the fridge for 4 days or so, then proceed. The loin is already thawed.
I would appreciate your advice!
Thanks, KSprairie

KS,
You said you were prepping a Pork Loin, but you didn't say how far you got on that. Like did you already Cure the Loin?
And what is it you want to do from here?
I don't want to get you in trouble by changing horses in the middle of the stream that would end up curing it twice, or some other problem.
I need more info.

Bear

That's Great, Buzzy!!!
I'm real glad you like it !!

Bear

Sorry, Bearcarver, I wasn’t very clear. All I have done is trimmed the fat from the loin so far. I haven’t applied the TQ or brown sugar yet. I would like to use about 3# of the loin to make your pork loin jerky to give it a try.
I am just wondering if I can put the sliced loin in the jerky marinade today, keep refrigerated for 4 to 5 days until weather improves and smoking is possible.
Since I was going to be starting the Canadian Bacon process today, I wanted to also start the jerky. Mess up the kitchen once and be done! Thank you!
KS

Sorry, Bearcarver, I wasn’t very clear. All I have done is trimmed the fat from the loin so far. I haven’t applied the TQ or brown sugar yet. I would like to use about 3# of the loin to make your pork loin jerky to give it a try.
I am just wondering if I can put the sliced loin in the jerky marinade today, keep refrigerated for 4 to 5 days until weather improves and smoking is possible.
Since I was going to be starting the Canadian Bacon process today, I wanted to also start the jerky. Mess up the kitchen once and be done! Thank you!
KS

OK---I wouldn't see why not, since you're adding the proper amount of TQ (in the ingredients), it should be fine.
However it might be better to take it out of the marinade after 24 hours, to keep it from getting too salty.
Then keep it in a bag in fridge until a few hours before smoking. Then rinse, Dry, and lay out on paper towels to dry before smoking. (Like in my instructions)

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky