1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Pork Loin Jerky (Step by Step with Pics)

Discussion in 'Making Jerky' started by Bearcarver, Apr 8, 2016.

1. PaxtonsPapa

PaxtonsPapa Newbie

We want thank you for your Pork jerky recipe. We’ve made it twice and it’s awesome ....we used cherry/apple smoke. We’ve shared the jerky with friends and they liked it too. This is so we will make often.

2. Bearcarver

Bearcarver SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster OTBS Member

That's Great!!
    I'm real glad to hear that!!

Bear

3. StClair72

StClair72 Newbie

IMG_20181117_194247.jpg
    I just put 5 pounds of pork loin jerky in the fridge to marinade in this. I made turkey jerky with it in my dehydrator and it was amazing. looking forward to tasting it on pork jerky!

4. StClair72

StClair72 Newbie

View attachment 380666
    I just put 5 pounds of pork loin jerky in the fridge to marinade in this. I made turkey jerky with it in my dehydrator and it was amazing. looking forward to tasting it on pork jerky!

5. Bearcarver

You'll love it !!
    That marinade should kick it up a notch or two!!

Bear

StClair72 likes this.
  6. solman

solman Smoke Blower

So if my math is right, for an 8lb loin that'll be one cup of water, and half cup each of Worcestershire and white wine?

7. Bearcarver

Actually that would be:
    Tender Quick———————————4 TBS
    Brown Sugar———————————6 TBS
    Black Pepper———————————8 tsp
    Cayenne—————————————2 tsp
    Garlic Powder——————————4 tsp
    Onion Powder——————————4 tsp
    Ground Ginger——————————4 tsp
    Worcestershire Original——————4 ounce
    White Wine————————————4 ounce
    Water———————————————8 ounce

Bear

8. solman

solman Smoke Blower

understood, but i quoted only the part that i wanted confirmation, i.e. 1 ounces of water/liquid per pound of meat, comes out to 1 cup for an 8lb loin?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  9. Winterrider

Winterrider Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

The 1st post explains how much of each per lb of meat

10. solman

solman Smoke Blower

my math was off on my last post (which you quoted, and which i later fixed). so for anyone else curious and wanting confirmation, one ounce of fluid is 1/8 of a cup, so 8 fluid ounce equals one cup, therefore for an 8 pound loin you'd need one cup of water.

11. Bearcarver

I knew that, but covering my butt, I put all the ingredients down, so nobody can take those 3 ingredients out of context on one of my posts. And yes there are 8 oz of water in a cup.

Bear

12. Hey, you learn something new everyday !!:emoji_open_mouth:

Gary

13. solman

solman Smoke Blower

is it best to trim the fat, then freeze it overnight to get it ready to be sliced? or freeze it, then trim it? i plan to make this when my new slicer arrives tomorrow.

14. Bearcarver

I find it best to trim off all the stuff you don't want. Then put it in the freezer for 3 or 4 hours. Then slice it.
    I don't freeze it solid before slicing.

Bear

15. buzzy

buzzy Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

I made a batch of this today & I have to say u hit another home run. It was a PITA with the weather we r having. Pretty much had to babysit. First time making in my Smoke Hollow.

Thanks for step by step. Will be doing more.

16. solman

solman Smoke Blower

Small world. I made this today too. Winds gusts up to 26mph in northern VA caused a alot of temp swings in my smoker. But my propane PID controller worked flawlessly. I did a 12 hour marinade and it had just enough saltiness.

One odd thing was that I had a alot of leftover marinade (with 2 pounds of meat and 4 cups of liquid). The recipe directions said there wouldn't be much left.

17. Bearcarver

Apparently you didn't use my Marinade Recipe. Below is mine from the first post on this Thread:
    There is a total liquid content of 2 ounces per pound.
    So your marinade should have been a total of 4 ounces, for your 2 pounds of meat.
    Maybe you mistakenly changed Ounces to cups?

Curing & Seasoning Brine (Per pound of Meat):
    Tender Quick———————————1/2 TBS
    Brown Sugar———————————3/4 TBS
    Black Pepper———————————1 tsp
    Cayenne—————————————1/4 tsp
    Garlic Powder——————————1/2 tsp
    Onion Powder——————————1/2 tsp
    Ground Ginger——————————1/2 tsp
    Worcestershire Original——————1/2 ounce
    White Wine————————————1/2 ounce
    Water———————————————1 ounce

Bear

18. solman

solman Smoke Blower

OMG i'm such an idiot that i can't do simple recipe math. :-/ thanks for clearing that up. even using all that excess liquid, it turned out great! so there's that...

19. ksprairie

ksprairie Newbie

I hope no one minds me butting in here, I have a question!!

Bearcarver, regarding your Pork Loin Jerky:
    In your step by step you marinate for 24 hours.
    Would there be a problem with marinating longer than that? Like 4-5 days?

I am prepping a pork loin today according to your Canadian Bacon Dry Cured step by step procedure. I hadn't seen your recipe for pork loin jerky before now, and just decided I wanted to use some of the loin for that recipe. However, weather for the next 3 days looks bad, not conducive to using my smoker, so I would have to marinate much longer than 24 hr. Alternatively, I could hold that portion of the loin in the fridge for 4 days or so, then proceed. The loin is already thawed.
    I would appreciate your advice!
    Thanks, KSprairie

20. Bearcarver

KS,
    You said you were prepping a Pork Loin, but you didn't say how far you got on that. Like did you already Cure the Loin?
    And what is it you want to do from here?
    I don't want to get you in trouble by changing horses in the middle of the stream that would end up curing it twice, or some other problem.
    I need more info.

Bear