Pork Loin Jerky (Step by Step with Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Just curious Bear..I plan to do this with two other pork jerkies. One calls for 165f, the other for 160f then dropped down to 145f. Will it really matter if I just put every thing in at 155f as the middle road?

Just curious Bear..I plan to do this with two other pork jerkies. One calls for 165f, the other for 160f then dropped down to 145f. Will it really matter if I just put every thing in at 155f as the middle road?

Anywhere you want, as long as it's above 145°.
Once you get to 145° (Safe Temp), it's up to you with how dry & what texture you want.
After 145°, it's how much more Time or Temp you want.

Bear

Anywhere you want, as long as it's above 145°.
Once you get to 145° (Safe Temp), it's up to you with how dry & what texture you want.
After 145°, it's how much more Time or Temp you want.

Bear
Aha. I didn't know if there was a magic temp to keep it from losing all connection tissue etc. I did try to trim the ones I got fairly well, but there was some fat in the meat that I didn't really bother with cutting out.

Also how long would you say the minimum is to cure? I got all 3 bags in their brine by around 9:30 PM, and I was planning to start dehydrating them around 5 PM. Figured I'd likely have it done by midnight or 1 AM then, and they'd be cooled down enough for me to put in a ziplock by 2 or 3 AM.. will that 5 PM be enough time? I know you say 24 hours, but due to family things, if I don't get stuff out by Monday, it'll have to wait till Thursday, and I want my friend to get this stuff sooner then later.

Aha. I didn't know if there was a magic temp to keep it from losing all connection tissue etc. I did try to trim the ones I got fairly well, but there was some fat in the meat that I didn't really bother with cutting out.

Also how long would you say the minimum is to cure? I got all 3 bags in their brine by around 9:30 PM, and I was planning to start dehydrating them around 5 PM. Figured I'd likely have it done by midnight or 1 AM then, and they'd be cooled down enough for me to put in a ziplock by 2 or 3 AM.. will that 5 PM be enough time? I know you say 24 hours, but due to family things, if I don't get stuff out by Monday, it'll have to wait till Thursday, and I want my friend to get this stuff sooner then later.

First of all, I don't know anything about "Dehydrating".
When I say 24 hours, that's because with everything else I did on this Thread, it is safe (Curing amounts, Time, Smoking Temp & Time).
Shorter could be safe, but I'm not about to guess & roll the dice as to how much shorter would be safe.
Any changes are your responsibility.

Bear

First of all, I don't know anything about "Dehydrating".
When I say 24 hours, that's because with everything else I did on this Thread, it is safe (Curing amounts, Time, Smoking Temp & Time).
Shorter could be safe, but I'm not about to guess & roll the dice as to how much shorter would be safe.
Any changes are your responsibility.

Bear
Fair enough!

I really need to get over my "phobia" of using pork for jerky

it is at least 1/2 the price and always available.

I"m outta jerky and need to make more soon, so I think pork will be on the grocery list!

I really need to get over my "phobia" of using pork for jerky

it is at least 1/2 the price and always available.

I"m outta jerky and need to make more soon, so I think pork will be on the grocery list!

I can assure you, you won't be sorry with this "Pork Loin Jerky".

Bear

The over all views were of the three I made, Bear's was the best in a classical jerky sense, it didn't last long. I think I've ate a pound of it my self.

my phobia is that jerky is not cooked, but dried, and even though I know commercial pork is clean and safe re/trich, I can't get a straight answer from the Gov't as to whether commercial fresh pork has been treated for Trich, or are they expecting the end user to complete the task.

but I do KNOW that reality is, Trich cysts are killed at low heat, so really, if the jerky is brought to 140F or so (?), there are going to be NO issues....

but as my family has a farming background... I still can't get my mind wrapped around that!

my phobia is that jerky is not cooked, but dried, and even though I know commercial pork is clean and safe re/trich, I can't get a straight answer from the Gov't as to whether commercial fresh pork has been treated for Trich, or are they expecting the end user to complete the task.

but I do KNOW that reality is, Trich cysts are killed at low heat, so really, if the jerky is brought to 140F or so (?), there are going to be NO issues....

but as my family has a farming background... I still can't get my mind wrapped around that!

Then follow this thread & Smoke your Pork Jerky the way I did. I used Tender Quick, and I smoked it to at least 145° (not 140°), which is the "Safe" Temp according to the USDA.
I don't use or even own a Dehydrator.

Bear

If your still not sure just dehydrate it to the desired texture then toss it in a 250 ° oven for a few minutes, bang anything living is dead now. Just a couple of minutes in the oven won't change it that much.

Jerkyholic mentions running it in an oven at like 300f with the jerky in as it pre-heats, then leave it going for 10 mins at 300f, then scale back to the drying temp. I set my smoker at 160f and did one batch in there till the end, and two of the batches in my oven at 170f.

Remember Jerky is so thinly sliced, it should easily hit 145f by the time your done. As an aside; Trichonsis is actually killed at temperatures as low as 131f. But if you bring your IT to 145f, it means the lil suckers been killed off and then some because of the time factor. Frankly my jerky likely hit over 145f. I went by time and feel.

Then follow this thread & Smoke your Pork Jerky the way I did. I used Tender Quick, and I smoked it to at least 145° (not 140°), which is the "Safe" Temp according to the USDA.
I don't use or even own a Dehydrator.

Bear

The way Bear does it, it's CURED! Follow the SBS & you'll be fine!

See my comment above! Bear & his SBS won't steer ya wrong!

We want thank you for your Pork jerky recipe. We’ve made it twice and it’s awesome ....we used cherry/apple smoke. We’ve shared the jerky with friends and they liked it too. This is so we will make often.

We want thank you for your Pork jerky recipe. We’ve made it twice and it’s awesome ....we used cherry/apple smoke. We’ve shared the jerky with friends and they liked it too. This is so we will make often.

That's Great!!
I'm real glad to hear that!!

Bear

IMG_20181117_194247.jpg
I just put 5 pounds of pork loin jerky in the fridge to marinade in this. I made turkey jerky with it in my dehydrator and it was amazing. looking forward to tasting it on pork jerky!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky