Pork Loin Crown Roast W/ Candied Jalapeno Glaze And Buttermilk Bacon Mac & Cheese (W / Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Disclaimer: For those of you that may be on the fence wondering if perhaps I've burnt my last brain cell, should you endeavor to persevere to the end of this thread, it will remove all doubt. You'll know in no uncertain terms that I am certifiable.

I got this notion in my mind about a week and a half ago but discounted it. The thought kept coming back and I kept discounting it. Finally I decided to stop beating myself up and go ahead and give it a run. Worst case, I'm out $12 for a pork loin and we order out pizza from Domino's. You'll see the stainless steel bowl throughout the cooking process but please bear with me. I assure you there is a method to my madness....maybe.

Started with a whole pork loin
001.jpg

Butterflied it
002.jpg

It was too thick and too wide so had to cut it down a bit for the next step: Wrap around a stainless steel bowl and tie it off then make the cuts to create the "crown"
003.jpg

This is the candied jalapeno glaze
005.jpg

Add a liberal coat of glaze and it's ready to go on the Rec Tec
006.jpg

This is what I used for the glaze. Dumped it into a bowl and beat the snot out of it with the immersion blender. 2 pics
007.jpg

008.jpg

On the grill and about an hour and a half in
010.jpg

Got some fresh asparagus going in the grilling wok. Tossed with EVOO and Tuscan seasonings
011.jpg

This is a 4-cheese mac & cheese made with buttermilk versus heavy cream then added some of my homemade bacon. Used mozzarella, muenster, provolone, and smoked extra sharp cheddar
012.jpg

Here is where you can call the guys with the white jackets. This is just nuts....but oh so good!!
013.jpg

Add some bread crumbs
014.jpg

Insanity is complete
015.jpg

My dinner plate. Just had to add some more of the candied jalapeno glaze
020.jpg

This was probably the most insane, over-the-top meal I've ever put together and I fully expect to be banned from SMF for life over this one :emoji_laughing: The mods will only allow a certain level of insanity and this probably exceeds that level. I'll at least go out in a deep food induced coma. At the end of the day I did not get quite the "crown" effect I was looking for, but you get the idea. The candied jalapeno glaze was exquisite. There was a perfect balance of spiciness and sweet that melded beautifully with the pork. The mac & cheese with the buttermilk was so incredibly good!! There was a richness and bit of a "tang" that you don't get using heavy cream or milk for the cheese sauce. For anybody that makes their own mac & cheese, I highly recommend giving the buttermilk a try. Well, I gotta run. My beautiful bride will be home shortly and I need to go prepare "the last supper" before the mods throw me out on my butt.

Preparing for the worst,
Robert

Attachments

• 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 5
ok maybe your nuts Robert (almost like a mad scientist) but that looks awesome bet it taste even better. big like, Jim

That's quite the creativity! I'd love to get a biiit more info on the sectioning of the loin itself to conform to your steel bowl.

Robert, that looks incredibly innovative.

I don't think SMF will ban you...we'll just straight-jacket you so we have a chance to steal that delicious creation!

Like!!

Well I think that's pretty innovative & cool Robert. I'd have a plate for sure.
Like!

FYI - You Beef rub recipe is a big like at my place. Took me a while to round up all the ingredients but thanks to Amazon I got 'er done!

Actually I like it! That is a perfect party plate for this time of year! Just fun!

Pretty creative forming a Boneless Crown Roast. Never saw that done. Nice job...JJ

If I survived not being banned over my shrunken CI pan thread. Then I'm pretty sure you'll still be here for a few more days anyway! That is one very creative dish you made. The mac and cheese needs to get shipped here ASAP for quality inspection. Never thought about using butter milk instead of heavy cream. Very interesting.

Looks pretty darn appetizing to me Robert, as well as being creative.

Point for sure
Chris

Looks good to me! I know we would eat that up around here. That mac n cheese looks fantastic! Asparagus is one of our favorites and what you did with the loin is great in my book! And to top it all off ....candied jalapeno glaze! Yes please! Great job! Big LIKE!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky