Pork Lion Ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kevin pitzer

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 3, 2015
Michigan
Hi, I have a Weber Smokey Mt which I truly love. I stumped upon Harry Soo which I have found uses the same smoker winning many championships. Long story short, I have learned his way and used many of his recipes - Love them.

So I found one of his recipes that I really want to do, however I am questioning one key portion. For 2-3 lbs of pork lion the recipe calls for 8 teaspoons pink salt (cure #1) - WOW.
Does this seem correct? Has anyone ever done something similar? I am very hesitant with this seeing how it would be for Christmas dinner and would had to waste my time, money and be embarrassed.

Please help me ;)

http://www.slapyodaddybbq.com/2014/04/barbecued-pineapple-pork-loin-ham/

That's way to much cure. I would never do it. Nope.

Thanks - Would this still be correct with an additional
  • 1-1/2 Cups kosher salt
Recipes states:

• Curing Brine (I used a digital scale to measure the quantities)
  • 1 gallon cold water
  • 1-1/2 Cups kosher salt
  • 2 Cups brown sugar
  • 8 teaspoons pink salt (cure #1)

Thanks c farmer

Love the support

As I always say "That's what it is all about....People helping People":)

Pop's guidelines goes up to 3 Tbs for 1 gallon of water. I assume the cure amount is jacked up to get the loin cured in 2 days. If your not in a hurry, I would brine it in Pop's brine with 1 Tbs cure#1 per gallon, inject it and give it a week. It works great for me.

This much..
IMG_20171210_152948.jpg

Lol... I went for 4 tsp .. Or a heaping Tbsp I would say.. for my gallon of water .

Harry Soo is such a nice man. I have contacted him before with questions and he is always so kind to take time and respond. So I emailed him to confirm his recipe and this is the response he gave me.

What do you all think???

The 8 tsp sounds right. You can confirm the amount on the link below.
They used 1/2 cup cure #1 for 1 gallon which is a lot more than what I used.
My recipe has been used by many and I have not heard that the amount is inaccurate
Nevertheless, when in doubt, I suggest you do a little test first as you can always make the brine ahead and use a cup of it to test on a small cut of pork for 48 hours.
Save the rest of the brine in the fridge for your big day as the brine is good for at least for a couple of weeks if not contaminated with raw meat.
I don't recommend going-live if you need guaranteed results at your Xmas event. I never test in a contest as it's not a good idea.
When I made the recipe, it was delish.

https://www.jamesbeard.org/recipes/brine-for-meats

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky