Pork green and red empanadas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinEdge

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 18, 2020
Western Colorado
Just a quickie. Didn’t take a lot of pictures, but these things are delicious. Little deep fried meat pies. So tasty. I’ll post up a dough recipe if interested. The meat is just New Mexico taco meat in red and some in green, although I only pictured the red. Enjoy.
57D9D0B1-1686-40A2-9026-E301FA2668BE.jpeg

829665C0-3AD9-40B5-B296-24D8BDB17457.jpeg

Looks great. Had some the other day. A guy from Colombia made them. Yours look just as good

Looks great. I'd be interested in the dough recipe. The pastry looks VERY FLAKEY, a sure sign of a good recipe. We are making a big batch this coming week. I have my oldest bringing frozen Goya Discos from her grocery as no local store carries them. Would be nice to just make our own.. JJ

Reactions: SmokinEdge
I could chow down on a couple of those homemade hot pockets.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Looks great. I'd be interested in the dough recipe. The pastry looks VERY FLAKEY, a sure sign of a good recipe. We are making a big batch this coming week. I have my oldest bringing frozen Goya Discos from her grocery as no local store carries them. Would be nice to just make our own.. JJ
Empanada dough recipe:
3 c. All purpose flour
1 stick butter (8Tbs.)
1/2tsp. Salt
1 egg
1/2 water

Add flour and salt in a mixing bowl, stir together.
Add butter and incorporate well. I use my hands and squeeze the flour butter together with my finger tips. You don’t want any little chunks of butter left, mix it well.
Add the egg and all but a couple Tbs of water and mix together. If dough is a little dry add a little bit more reserved water. Kneed the dough until no longer sticky.
At this point you can make individual 1.5 inch balls and roll them out, or you can roll the whole dough out to about 1/8” then use a large cup or a wide mouth mason lid to cut circles. Then those need to be rolled again until about half again larger. Use flour on the counter as needed so dough doesn’t stick. Fill with meat mixture leaving enough room to fold the dough over. Seal the edges by making a series of little folds ( my wife’s method) or use a fork to mash the edges together. Place on a cookie sheet and refrigerate for about 30 minutes to dry the dough surface.
I fry mine, but these can also be brushed with egg wash and baked in the oven.

Thank you all for the kind words, and the likes.
These really are delicious and filling, but not heavy. They can be filled with meat and/or cheeses but are also filled with fruit for dessert.

Thanks for the Recipe. Sounds easy enough and the results speak for themselves...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky