• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Pork green and red empanadas

SmokinEdge

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jan 18, 2020
Just a quickie. Didn’t take a lot of pictures, but these things are delicious. Little deep fried meat pies. So tasty. I’ll post up a dough recipe if interested. The meat is just New Mexico taco meat in red and some in green, although I only pictured the red. Enjoy.
57D9D0B1-1686-40A2-9026-E301FA2668BE.jpeg

829665C0-3AD9-40B5-B296-24D8BDB17457.jpeg

flatbroke

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Sep 16, 2007
Looks great. Had some the other day. A guy from Colombia made them. Yours look just as good

MSK2193

★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined May 22, 2021
try to make them with cheese. Gouda makes a great cheese empanada.

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
Looks great. I'd be interested in the dough recipe. The pastry looks VERY FLAKEY, a sure sign of a good recipe. We are making a big batch this coming week. I have my oldest bringing frozen Goya Discos from her grocery as no local store carries them. Would be nice to just make our own.. JJ

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Sep 15, 2012
I could chow down on a couple of those homemade hot pockets.

Point for sure
Chris

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
Got my mouth watering . Those look fantastic .

SmokinEdge

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jan 18, 2020
Looks great. I'd be interested in the dough recipe. The pastry looks VERY FLAKEY, a sure sign of a good recipe. We are making a big batch this coming week. I have my oldest bringing frozen Goya Discos from her grocery as no local store carries them. Would be nice to just make our own.. JJ
Empanada dough recipe:
3 c. All purpose flour
1 stick butter (8Tbs.)
1/2tsp. Salt
1 egg
1/2 water

Add flour and salt in a mixing bowl, stir together.
Add butter and incorporate well. I use my hands and squeeze the flour butter together with my finger tips. You don’t want any little chunks of butter left, mix it well.
Add the egg and all but a couple Tbs of water and mix together. If dough is a little dry add a little bit more reserved water. Kneed the dough until no longer sticky.
At this point you can make individual 1.5 inch balls and roll them out, or you can roll the whole dough out to about 1/8” then use a large cup or a wide mouth mason lid to cut circles. Then those need to be rolled again until about half again larger. Use flour on the counter as needed so dough doesn’t stick. Fill with meat mixture leaving enough room to fold the dough over. Seal the edges by making a series of little folds ( my wife’s method) or use a fork to mash the edges together. Place on a cookie sheet and refrigerate for about 30 minutes to dry the dough surface.
I fry mine, but these can also be brushed with egg wash and baked in the oven.

sawhorseray

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Oct 17, 2014
Your dough looks fantastic, light and flaky, bookmarked for sure, thanx! RAY

browneyesvictim

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Aug 16, 2016
I didn't know I needed empanadas until I saw this! NEED I say! Those look amazing!
Erik

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Those look delicious!
Thanks for posting the dough recipe!
Al

tx smoker

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Apr 14, 2013
WOW!! Those look fantastic. No lack of filling, that's for sure, and exactly how I like them. Very well done.

Robert

SmokinEdge

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jan 18, 2020
Thank you all for the kind words, and the likes.
These really are delicious and filling, but not heavy. They can be filled with meat and/or cheeses but are also filled with fruit for dessert.

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
Thanks for the Recipe. Sounds easy enough and the results speak for themselves...JJ

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.