Pork De Boning

Discussion in 'Sausage' started by nepas, Mar 11, 2012.

1. nepas

nepas Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Got some sausage to do next week. Got a double pack (18 lb) of pork butt de boned.

Here is 15 lbs. Got a 2 lbs and a 1.5 lb chunk in there for some BBB
    [​IMG]

Cubed, rinsed.
    [​IMG]

In bags for a week in the freezer.
    [​IMG]

BBL

2. java

java Smoking Fanatic

what kind of sauage are we making?

3. nepas

nepas Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Ummmm dont know yet, not got that far   [​IMG]

4. java

java Smoking Fanatic

gotta let me know so i can follow this.

i just started making sausage and cant get enough of it.

quite an addiction im falling into!

5. slownlow

slownlow Smoking Fanatic

Great start.  I've got my seat for the show. [​IMG][​IMG]

6. nepas

I'm leaning towards this recipe.

Smoked Country Sausage

3 lbs pork butt

2 lbs GB (80/20)

1/4 cup dry milk

1 Tbs + 1 tsp Kosher salt

1 tsp cure 1

1 Tbs paprika

1 Tbs white sugar

2 tsp mustard seed

2 tsp white pepper

1/4 tsp Ascorbic acid (careful here) You can find this where the Ball cans are in the stores, Called fruit fresh.

1/2 cup water (add more if mix is to dry)

hog or sheep casings

Grind the pork thru a medium plate then the fine plate. Grind the beef (if in chunks) thru the medium plate 1 time.

Mix the cure with 2 Tbs cold water and set aside. Mix the remainder of the dry with the water. Add the cure to the meat and mix for 1 min then add the seasoned water to the meat mix.

You have had the casings cleaned and soaking.....Right?

Stuff the casings and poke out any air pockets, Twist in 3-4" links

This recipe starts the smoke at 150 for 2 hours. Bring the heat up after the 2 hours to 170. You need an IT of 160 in the links

If you want you can hot water these after the 2 hour smoke time. Bring water to 180-190 and you still want the IT of 160. On either way you go when sausage IT is reached place the links in cold water to stop the raising of the IT in the links.

7. nepas

Going to make some country smokies.

Poke and GB in the bowl all ground, In the fridge for a bit.  Have the casings soaking.
    [​IMG]

Got the ingredients ready.
    [​IMG]

BBL

8. Great...keeping an eye on this one cause I want to try it sometime.

9. kadoka

kadoka Smoke Blower

I follow you so much Rick I'am starting to see that penquin in my dreams!!!

10. nepas

[​IMG]

My wife collects penguins. I been trying to get her to retire this think but she just gives me the look. [​IMG]    One these days its going to fall off the counter....OOOPS

11. nepas

Got the pork/gb all seasoned mixed and stuffed.

[​IMG]

How bouts a twist link. Had a couple cuts in the casings, Oh well no worries.
    [​IMG]

Heading for the fridge uncovered, smoke tomorrow.
    [​IMG]

12. nepas

Have the country smokies hanging now. Using my AMZNPS with maple.

[​IMG]

13. frosty

frosty Master of the Pit

Outstanding work!  You are the master once again, PERFECTION!

14. sam3

sam3 Smoking Fanatic

I need to work on my linking skills. [​IMG]

Looks great Rick.

15. tjohnson

tjohnson Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Insider OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Great job Rick

What's "Ascorbic Acid" do in your sausage recipe?

Todd

16. Looks good Rick. Is that going to be something you grill later like a kielbasa sort of? Or will it be ready to eat like a summer sausage?

17. nepas

Its more like a ring bologna but in link style.

18. nepas

Todd

Like ECA but its starts to work right away. ECA starts to break down and work at 130*

19. I gotta see how these turn out. Looking good!

20. nepas

Have the country smokies done now. Yeah were some white spots where they were touching, no biggie cuz i aint selling em.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Since this was the 1st time doing this recipe i had to look and taste. Cut the dinky one up.

Very close to a smoked Keilbasa.

[​IMG]

Next time on this recipe i will increase the mustard seed, 1/4 tsp more ascorbic acid and 1 Tbs paprika. Also i wont stuff these in hog casings, they will go in ring bologna casings.