Pork Butt Sliced?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
Got all my grills and smokers cleaned up. The only time I hate having so many! I have not used the WSM in a long time. Now that it cleaned I going to use it and put a pan under to catch drippings. I am thinking of doing sliced instead of pulled? Wondering if I can take it close to pull temp than just rest until next day to slice? Thinking it will stay juicier this way for left overs and maybe do a spicy gravy.

Now that sounds good!! Tell me more of the spicy gravy.
And you changed you avatar pic. I like it.

jim

When I do pork shoulder cuts for slicing I shoot for 185 . Anything from 180 to 190 should work .
Here's a thread on a pork cushion I did if you're interested . Comes from the shoulder around the picnic .

I am thinking of doing sliced instead of pulled? Wondering if I can take it close to pull temp than just rest until next day to slice?
When I was a little boy, sliced or chopped shoulder were as popular as pulled pork, and properly cooked.... sliced shoulder is highly under rated. Your plan of holding (even chilling) before slicing is a good option. All the intermuscular fat which has broken down during cooking will firm back up and allow you to make good slices.
bDzKcld.jpg

This diagram will give you an idea of all the muscle groups, and help you with the direction of slicing.
VCND3PS.jpg

Calling the 'blade bone' end of a Boston butt the 'bottom', the 'top' 1/3 of the butt contains the Coppa, tube and money muscles in the photo. The best slices come from this area and look like this.
5BCq3gF.jpg

dY09Szj.jpg

The muscles in the center 1/3, called 'loin' in the photo, are leaner... and the muscles around the blade bone are the second best meat, they might be soft enough to cube or pull into larger chunks.

In order to determine slicing direction, locate the money muscle end of the butt shown at the bottom of the photo below. The direction of slicing is from the money muscle toward the blade bone, and not left-to-right. The distinct 'tiger stripes' of fat in the money muscle show you the slicing direction.
If it's easier for you, cross-cut the blade bone end off (right at the end of the bone) and work with it separately.
twkE938.jpg

Your internal temps will be in the 190°'s but trust the feel of the meat when probing.

Now that sounds good!! Tell me more of the spicy gravy.
And you changed you avatar pic. I like it.

jim
This is the recipe. I usually half it:

Spicy Brown Gravy Sauce

1 tbsp butter
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup warm water
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp ketchup
1 tsp mustard
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 quart of smoked brisket drippings
1 tbsp cayenne pepper, start with 1/2 Tbsp
Salt and black pepper to taste

Add ingredients to the smoked brisket drippings while warm and whisk briskly over simmering heat.

Last edited:
LTlZBTE.jpg

That sounds good. I don't have meat drippings, but when I make sausage I smoke the blade bones (or smoke several pounds of pork neck bones) and use those to make smoked broth that I use in my pork injection. I bet that would be an okay substitute.

Reactions: crazymoon
Yep, sliced is awesome! Took some to family Thanksgiving and everyone was impressed and also surprised when I told them what it was.

Reactions: chopsaw
Well I planned on leaving bone in than pulling it out after cook but butcher had all ready removed it. Never bought one like that before. Injected with Butcher BBQ Pork. Could not find my twine so just used a few skewers. Put some of Jeff's sweet heat rub on it. Going to use the Inkbirk Controller on the WSM. This only second time using and had to re-set up wifi. Honestly I like the Guru better but since I got to leave to go to our Brewery 10 Year anniversary for a little while the wifi be nice.

IMG_20230512_165721644_HDR.jpg IMG_20230512_165726987_HDR.jpg IMG_20230512_170958463.jpg

Well I planned on leaving bone in than pulling it out after cook but butcher had all ready removed it.
That's actually better when slicing. Looking at your top photo (with the glove) it appears that the money muscle is on the left, so if that's correct... you will slice toward the pocket where the bone was.

Man this Inkbird a pain to get going! The Guru just turn it on and walk away. Note to self: Next time get smoker to temp before letting Inkbird take it!

I am not a fan of this Inkbird controller. It is either 100% or 0 fan. The problem I think is it starts with the fan at 0. By the time it comes up the smoker cold and it ends up at 100 to catch up. I guess it does control temp within +- 5 degress. I really think if you could start auto with fan at 50 it would work great. The Guru works much better and I will be sticking with it in the future.

When I was a little boy, sliced or chopped shoulder were as popular as pulled pork, and properly cooked.... sliced shoulder is highly under rated. Your plan of holding (even chilling) before slicing is a good option. All the intermuscular fat which has broken down during cooking will firm back up and allow you to make good slices.
View attachment 665280
This diagram will give you an idea of all the muscle groups, and help you with the direction of slicing.
View attachment 665281
Calling the 'blade bone' end of a Boston butt the 'bottom', the 'top' 1/3 of the butt contains the Coppa, tube and money muscles in the photo. The best slices come from this area and look like this.
View attachment 665282
View attachment 665283
The muscles in the center 1/3, called 'loin' in the photo, are leaner... and the muscles around the blade bone are the second best meat, they might be soft enough to cube or pull into larger chunks.

In order to determine slicing direction, locate the money muscle end of the butt shown at the bottom of the photo below. The direction of slicing is from the money muscle toward the blade bone, and not left-to-right. The distinct 'tiger stripes' of fat in the money muscle show you the slicing direction.
If it's easier for you, cross-cut the blade bone end off (right at the end of the bone) and work with it separately.
View attachment 665284
Your internal temps will be in the 190°'s but trust the feel of the meat when probing.
Great post, thirdeye thirdeye , thank you. I always knew that it can be so much more than pulled pork! The slices in your first photo appear to be cured somewhat…if not, how do you compare this same method when also using a cure?

And the steaks in the third from last photo…those look amazing! Did you divide the Butt before smoking?….looks the money end.

Great post, thirdeye thirdeye , thank you. I always knew that it can be so much more than pulled pork! The slices in your first photo appear to be cured somewhat…if not, how do you compare this same method when also using a cure?

And the steaks in the third from last photo…those look amazing! Did you divide the Butt before smoking?….looks the money end.
No curing involved in those photos, but those slices were from a sectioned butt, generally the upper 1/2 to 1/3 where the money muscle is. They come out the same when you cook the whole butt, however I get more bark by breaking the butt down into smaller roasts because there is more surface area. Either way is good.
rSzSzUM.jpg

And here is what you can expect when cooking a full butt for slicing. You get some of everything.
wTP2gpG.jpg

Now, if you do cure the top end of a pork shoulder butt, (or the whole butt) using the daveomak daveomak injectable cure technique, which I recommend highly, here is what you will get.
kAS743Y.jpg

Same muscle groups... that never changes.
fu0aDeJ.jpg

And the slices will put a smile on your face. The distinct pinkish color tips you off that the meat has been cured.
PxmJ9j8.jpg

The comparison you asked about is about the same. On any given day, one is better than the other. Then the next day, the other one rises to the top.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky