Pork butt rub. Open to suggestions.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Meat Man Matt

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 30, 2018
I am smoking a <9lb pork butt this weekend up at my cabin for those who volunteered to help me cut and gather logs. I use a basic brine of water, salt, sugar, a little garlic, pepper, thyme and bay leaves.
For my rub I typically use paprika as a base. Then I add a healthy amount of brown sugar, a tbsp or two of kosher salt, a few tbsp of black pepper, and a little bit each of cayenne, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, thyme and rosemary. (I rarely measure. Just kinda wing it.) Anyway, a friend of mine says he always loves my BBQ, but isn't always wild about the thick crust, thinks it's a bit intense. So my question is.... What do my fellow smoke-a-holics think? Anything seem off to you? I happen to like the thick, strong bark on my 'Q, but I can't make a big hunk of meat just for myself!

This is my basic Pork Rub recipe, it is a good base to start from and change flavor profiles as desired.

1C brown sugar
1/2C Lawry's Seasoned Salt
1/3C each paprika, garlic and onion powders
1/8C each of cayenne and black peppers

I'm not up for Paprika being the base of a pork rub.
Depending on what type/quality of Paprika it could be overpowering in a number of manners.

Reactions: Binford 6100
I see. Well, I already mixed up a batch, so maybe I'll just add some more of everything except paprika. Then check it out and see how it goes.

Sounds good. I think if I just add some brown sugar and SPOG, I'll pretty much have that. Except I have rosemary instead of oregano and I don't think I have any celery seed.

I appreciate the advice!

I'm not a big fan of thick bark and am diabetic so I use a low amount of sugar in my rubs,the sugar will add bulk and can get hard/crunchy at times,haven't added rosemary to smoked pork butt love it on roasted pork

Honestly I cant tell the difference when I do pulled pork. I will either do Mccormick smokehouse maple or Killer hogs the bbq rub if I feel like not mixing my own but usually just salt pepper and brown sugar. I am all about the finishing sauce that someone posted here a long time ago

1 Cup Cider Vinegar
2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
1 Teaspoon Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning
1 Teaspoon Course Black Pepper
1 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes

Doesn't sound too intense to me. You're not going to be able to make everyone happy. As soon as you adjust your rub so the bark is "less intense", one of you other friends will say that he misses and really likes the thick savory bark. As suggested, you eat the outside and give your friend a heaping portion of the insides!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky