Pork Butt... maybe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

matcartier

Original poster
Mar 13, 2016
Thawed this out over the weekend... not really sure if its a butt or a shoulder but im going to pretend its a butt and smoke it for pulled pork. Will update as I go...

image4.jpg
image3.jpg
image2.jpg
image0.jpg

Well the butt is part of the shoulder.... A whole shoulder is comprised of the butt (upper half), and the picnic (lower half). Each roast will be 6 to 10 pounds. You have kind of a hybrid shoulder roast.

In your top photo, the blade bone (most of which is in the butt, is visible. It's the Y shaped bone, not quite as big as your hand. In the next photo you can see the ball socket from the "arm bone". The arm bone (or shoulder bone) is in the picnic roast and is a round bone.

When your roast was cut you got the lower end of the butt, and maybe a slight amount of the picnic, which is below the ball joint. I bet the meat cutter cut off the top butt portion to make a boneless butt roast in the 4 to 5 pound range, then made a second cut to keep the picnic pretty much whole.

What's your weight, about 3 pounds? Just cook it like a butt or a picnic and you will be fine.

Well the butt is part of the shoulder.... A whole shoulder is comprised of the butt (upper half), and the picnic (lower half). Each roast will be 6 to 10 pounds. You have kind of a hybrid shoulder roast.

In your top photo, the blade bone (most of which is in the butt, is visible. It's the Y shaped bone, not quite as big as your hand. In the next photo you can see the ball socket from the "arm bone". The arm bone (or shoulder bone) is in the picnic roast and is a round bone.

When your roast was cut you got the lower end of the butt, and maybe a slight amount of the picnic, which is below the ball joint. I bet the meat cutter cut off the top butt portion to make a boneless butt roast in the 4 to 5 pound range, then made a second cut to keep the picnic pretty much whole.

What's your weight, about 3 pounds? Just cook it like a butt or a picnic and you will be fine.
Thanks for the explanation...I can never remember which is which. So I'll try to remember having a picnic under a butt and see if that sticks. :emoji_blush:

Ryan

• Haha
Reactions: undy and thirdeye
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky