Pork Butt in Oven

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
Wasn't not planning on posting this but with the heat wave sometimes people don't want to fire up the smoker. My buddy has been trying to get me to do this for a while now. It is the way his Mom did it. Heat oven to 325. She does not season but I put a light atkins rub on it before putting it in the pot. Put butt fat side up in dutch oven. Pour some soy sauce over it and add some water. Cover. I checked at the 5 hour mark and it was temping about 215. Let sit for about a hour or so. Took butt out and shredded. She takes the juice and makes a thin gravy and puts it back in the meat. I was really surprised there was not that much juice, mostly fat. I separated it and also added some of the fat and put aTbsp of arrowroot to thicken. Wow was this good. I mean really good. So simple. Gave some to a couple people and they really liked it. I will be doing this again. This has me thinking maybe I should be smoking it at 325?

20230724_130307.jpg

Love pork but a oven will run a 30-50 degree swing from what it's set at, you won't get the same results smoking imo. there's no bad way to cook just different roads to get to the eating part :)

Reactions: JLeonard
Love pork but a oven will run a 30-50 degree swing from what it's set at, you won't get the same results smoking imo. there's no bad way to cook just different roads to get to the eating part :)
All my ovens where like this in the past but this new Samsung holds really steady. I had my inkbird on it this time and pretty much stayed at 325. I was amazed!

Looks and sounds excellent Brian.

Point for sure
Chris

Butts in the smoker don't care what temp you use. The little bit of smoke flavor at 325° would be a nice little addition. The way you did it, sounds nice and easy however.

Who says you can't smoke in the oven. I have put small pouch of chips on the element, turned on the overhead fan and let 'er rip. I only did it for an hour or so, basically just one pouch worth, but when in a pinch....didn't smell up the house very much, but it was just me and my son. :-)

Cheers

Wasn't not planning on posting this but with the heat wave sometimes people don't want to fire up the smoker. My buddy has been trying to get me to do this for a while now. It is the way his Mom did it. Heat oven to 325. She does not season but I put a light atkins rub on it before putting it in the pot. Put butt fat side up in dutch oven. Pour some soy sauce over it and add some water. Cover. I checked at the 5 hour mark and it was temping about 215. Let sit for about a hour or so. Took butt out and shredded. She takes the juice and makes a thin gravy and puts it back in the meat. I was really surprised there was not that much juice, mostly fat. I separated it and also added some of the fat and put aTbsp of arrowroot to thicken. Wow was this good. I mean really good. So simple. Gave some to a couple people and they really liked it. I will be doing this again. This has me thinking maybe I should be smoking it at 325?

View attachment 671835
That’s how the locals in Hawaii make Kalua pig now for small gatherings using coarse sea salt

Before I bought an offset stick burner, I smoked pork butt high heat on a WSM. I would put a full chimney of lit coals over a layer of unlit and run the WSM wide open. I used a water pan but no water, only as a deflector. The WSM would run at 325.

When the butts IT hit 165, I wrapped in foil. Cook took about 5 hours.

I can smell it from here. Oven roasted pork is GOOD. That's a classic meal here. Roasted pork, mashed taters, kraut. Often done in a crock but the oven is better. I think you are right about the higher temp and some Mailliard happening... Good call on the soy. Salty AND umami.

I can smell it from here. Oven roasted pork is GOOD. That's a classic meal here. Roasted pork, mashed taters, kraut. Often done in a crock but the oven is better. I think you are right about the higher temp and some Mailliard happening... Good call on the soy. Salty AND umami.
Something about cooking this way does something good. While crook pot is good cant do what this method does. Should of listened to my buddy long time ago. We both cooks and BBQ guys and he usually knows what he talking about.

Reactions: zwiller
Very nice summary Brian and a great alternative to beat the heat. Jeez it's been a scorcher recently!!
This has me thinking maybe I should be smoking it at 325?
Not a thing in the world wrong with this approach. You'd still get a nice smoke flavor, have t done pretty quick, and not have to heat up the house with the oven.

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky