Pork butt in new smoker, the Grilla Chimp

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

spohnat

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 15, 2016
seasoned with katz mustard and jeff's rub. This is the other half of a costco pork butt so will compare to the MES version. I put it on last night at 8pm at 200. Increased to 225 four hours in and a light ACV sprits. Other photo is 11 hours in. My concern is there is nowhere to as close to as much bark from the MES. However, will let it finish before I judge.

The probes temp is 50 degrees off which sounds like a common problem of Grilla. I will replace the internal with a thermawork and continue to use an external as well.

I did shrimp and heated up some sausages so far in the chimp so this is the first true long smoke.

edit: midnight and 7am labels should be swapped.

Attachments

• grill.jpg
    grill.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 47
  • temps.jpg
    temps.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 7am.jpg
    7am.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 49
  • midnight.jpg
    midnight.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
17 hours in and bark is coming alive. TBD if i let it ride at 225 or turn up the temp

Attachments

• IMG_0105.jpg
    IMG_0105.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 64
Reactions: jaxgatorz
Took 21 hours to get to 206. The other half took 20 hours in the MES a few weeks back so I was expecting a long cook. Great Bark and smoke ring was visually nice. however, the smoke flavor is mild. I just tried a piece for breakfast as figured being by the smoker may have diluted my smell. Coming from an MES with pellet tube/tray, i was not expecting to have less smoke flavor

I used some very old oak pellets from a-maze-n and competition blend costco traeger pellets. I will try lumberjack and bear mountain next to help. However, i foresee using the tray or tube in addition to get more smoke flavor.

Once I get the pellets/tube figured out and replace the internal probe, this does seem like a true set it and forget it.

Attachments

• IMG_0107.jpg
    IMG_0107.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0108.jpg
    IMG_0108.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 45
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky