Pork Butt: I want chunks...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sdlocal

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 29, 2011
For competition pork butt what temp are the pulling them at?  I want to try chunks this time and not completely pulled like I did last time.....

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I went to 205 last time I am going to try 190 to 195 this time....

The easiest way to tell is if you can grab the bone & pull it out clean it's done. Each butt seems to be a little different & sometimes the bone will pull out at 190, sometimes it has to go to 200+. Let us know how yours turns out.

How do you get chunks? I'm smoking a butt tonight, and chunks sound good, I'm wondering how you would go about that. Adrian
Pull it from the smoker at around 180* I/T (typical slicing temps for butt/brisket) and foil/towel wrap to rest for a couple hours. I've sliced a couple bone-in butts recently, and at 180* finish temp, I had to slice pretty thick to keep it from falling apart under the knife, even with a no-foil smoke. So, I'd say 180* range would chunk-up rather well...never tried it that way, but the texture seems like it would have been about right with the ones I sliced.

Also, if you take it to finish temps without foiling, you'll have a heavier bark which will help to hold some of the chunks together when you break it apart. You may need to slice it thick, then, break it into smaller pieces, and slice a few of the chunks if you cut it with the grain instead of cross-cut.

I must say, that is an interesting twist from the same old pulled pork...kind of like brisket burnt ends, except not double-smoked.

Have a great smoke, Adrian!

Eric

Around 200-205.

I'm with you, we like big pieces not a bunch of mush.

Bingo! Don't like my PP to be mushy. A very wise man on smf once told me that if you pull the meat off the smoker at 195 and rest it for at least an hour wrapped in foil and in a cooler you'll get pork that is moist and tender but a little more firm. Been doing it that way ever since.

I think the term Pulled Pork means just that and is usually done by pulling out large chunks by hand

Some folks like Shredded Pork not to be confused with pulled pork which is usually done with a tool.

Pulling is sometimes more difficult because its hot, so wear gloves.

I have seen pork sort of chopped/pulled if that makes sense.

My family prefers shredded for sandwiches but chunked is nice served by itself.

Try what Forluvofsmoke, suggests, and let us know what happens.

Old thread but I on smoke to 190 195 then rest in cooler for an hour and pull in chuncks vs shredded.  Did this with a Berkshire and it was insanely good.  

I brought one to 190 last weekend.  The wife wanted slicing instead of pulled.  It came out really nice.

To warm the leftovers I would slice a 1/2" - 3/4" piece, warm it in the nuke, then flash it in a hot pan.  Splash some finishing sauce on top and they were super moist and tender butt steaks. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky