Pork butt cola injection?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nicefly

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Apr 9, 2016
Houston, Texas
Hi all,
Has anyone ever injected their pork butt with soda? I was thinking coke or pepsi, maybe sprite.
I am not sure what makes me want to try this, so I thought I would run it by the forum.

Thanks for looking,
John

Reactions: JLeonard
Thanks BigW. Guess Im not crazy after all. Well at least when cooking haha.

I like the Dr. Pepper idea. Barring something bizarre I am going to try this tomorrow.

Never injected a butt as so juicy anyway, but guess interesting for change in flavor profile. Let’s hear how it turns out!

Reactions: nicefly
I inject with root beer and Dr pepper sometimes. Also use either sometimes for ribs in the wrap step. Works better on the ribs imo

Has anyone ever injected their pork butt with soda?
Shhhh, that's a secret. Heheheee.
I make a injection that is 60% smoked pork broth, and 40% Coca-Cola. I prefer the Coke bottled in Mexico as it is still make with cane sugar. I shoot roughly 1 ounce of injection per pound.... so 8 ounces for a 8# butt. And I inject about 6 hours before going on the smoker. When I make my pork broth I make much more than will be needed, and freeze the leftover. This makes future batches of injection very easy to make.... thaw a container of broth, add some Coke and inject.

The easy way out: Buy some Minor's Pork Base (this is paste form) it won't have the smoky flavor, but it's excellent product. Mix in the Coca-Cola, add a couple of bay leaves and simmer for about an hour. Do not allow this to boil.

The preferred method: Buy some pork neck bones, season with Montreal seasoning, and warm smoke them for a couple of hours until they get some color.
E2mUots.jpg
Mix some Minor's Pork Base, a little weaker than normal, and either cook the neck bones down in a stock pot -OR- mix a couple of pints of broth and cook the bones in a pressure cooker for 35 minutes with natural release. (check after pressure drop and process 6 minutes more if not fall-off-the bone tender.)
zrrSF87.jpg

Cool and strain broth. Mix up more broth as needed for volume and add to the smoky broth. Then mix the ratio of broth and Coke, two bay leaves and simmer for about an hour.

The meat takes a while to pick off the bones, but it is wonderful.

Interesting … gonna give it a try this weekend, but use a frozen souper cube of pan drippings from previous smokes in place of the broth

I never personally injected a pork butt when I smoke them, but when my wife makes one in the crock pot she always adds some rootbeer or dr. Pepper, comes out good.

I’ve injected with Dr. Cherry Pepper before, it comes out awesome!

I’ve also done the more lazy route of rubbing and smoking the pork without injecting, and then just adding the soda when foiling. That’s really good too.

Reactions: JLeonard
I've never injected soda but do use various colas as a base for sauces.

One thing I do inject is Ocean Spray Cranberry/BlackBerry 100% juice. Makes pork and poultry yummy.

It works what brand is kind of personal tastes we like Dr Pepper the best to us it seems to give a little better result

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky