Pork Butt and a surprise Lamb Roast w/bones with Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

papagreer

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Smoked my first Butt this weekend, been excited about it all week. I was having some friends over for dinner and my buddy called me up and said "You got any room in there for some ribs?" SURE! haha. He shows up and said I picked up this Lamb instead. I've only ever eaten lamb once and I have never cooked it before. Being caught off guard, I didnt have a rub or any time to marinade it (or had any clue what to do with the thing) so I scored the fat on the back and threw on the rub I used on the Butt. 

On the Butt ( and Lamb) I used Meowey's Pork Rub (which was AWESOME!! Thanks for the recipe!) and used hickory chunks and Royal Oak Lump in the charcoal pan. My last smoke I used Tru Cue Lump and I was very disappointed. Royal Oak was lightyears better and I would use it again in a heartbeat. 

Woke up at 5:30 AM, pulled the butt out of the fridge and fired up the chimney, filled my water pan with boiling water (Outside temp read 38*). I drilled an additional 30 holes in the bottom of my pan a week prior to help with the ash smothering my fire and started using the Minion method. I was able to get 4 hours at 225* using this method and I was pumped! This smoke was much smoother then my last one, temps stayed pretty solid. Only a couple of spikes here and there. One thing I need is another digital thermometer. I will be asking for a Dual probe from ole St Nick. HAHA. 

The Lamb smoked for about 3 hrs to 140 internal. Pulled it and double foiled and put in a cooler wrapped with towels. The Butt smoked until it was 165 internal and then double wrapped and back into the smoker to 200* (about 14 hrs total) wrapped with towels and into the cooler while I finished preparing the sides. It sat for an hr then out it came to be pulled. Bone pulled right out, nice and easy. Shredded the meat with 2 forks and finished 3/4 of the pork with Soflaquer's finishing sauce and the other 1/4 plain for my daughter and a couple of ladies who like it with bbq sauce. Man that finishing sauce was AMAZING! 

8863d560_DSC_0015.jpg

Butt scored and ready for the mustard

6c13cae0_DSC_0017.jpg

ce68f4f6_DSC_0020.jpg

Nice coating of Meowey's Rub

6570b9dc_DSC_0022.jpg

Wrapped up tight for a slumber in the fridge

12407bad_DSC_0024.jpg

Mixed up a bottle of Soflaquer's Finishing Sauce

346223d4_DSC_0025.jpg

Lamb after a 2 hr rest in the Cooler. Sorry I don't have any pre smoke pics of the Lamb. Not knowing how long it would take to smoke, I wanted to get it in the box to have it ready by dinner time. 

3b531bb0_DSC_0027.jpg

Butt out of the cooler after an hour rest. YUM!
abbfb372_DSC_0028.jpg

Bone came clean out. I was getting excited at this point. Couldn't wait to dig into this with my family and friends.

93e6531d_DSC_0030.jpg

A little sloppy but man that is some good BBQ.

a0cee647_DSC_0032.jpg

And there you have it. Pulled pork, piece of Lamb some mac and cheese, baked beans a dinner roll and a piece of cornbread drizzled with local honey. And of course a double fisting of a frosty adult beverage to wash it all down. 

It took a little longer then I expected (the stall really hit me hard) and the family and friends kept asking if it was ready yet. I said just a little longer. Once the food hit the table they all said it was worth the wait. This was my best smoke to date (only my second, but at least its getting better and not worse) and it was delicious. Smoke is on my mind all the time now. Cant wait to try something else. 

Thanks for looking at my smoke. 

Chris

Reactions: meateater
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
That's what smokin is all about. Now ya got the smokin part figured out ya got to work on the timeing part. LOL

icon_cool.gif

Now you have one heck of a fine dinner there Chris. I really like the pulled Pork and how did you like the lamb??? Now I have made some sausage out of lamb and it's was slap your buddy kind of good too.

Last edited:
icon_cool.gif

Now you have one heck of a fine dinner there Chris. I really like the pulled Pork and how did you like the lamb??? Now I have made some sausage out of lamb and it's was slap your buddy kind of good too.

The Lamb was ok. I was a little disappointed to be honest. I wish I cut all the fat off, there was a good amount on it. I kept it on there for protection from heat spikes, but in retrospect, I could have cut 65% of it off and been good to go. As far as flavor goes it was kind of bland since it didn't marinade in anything or sit with rub on it for an extended period of time. I def will take another shot at lamb, just wanna do it up right. 

For everyone----how do you do your Lamb?

Chris

Looks awesome for only your second attempt. 

Lamb is great with fresh garlic, cracked pepper, salt and rosemary. We like ours' rare, so we cook it until 125* IT.

IRMV

Lamb is great with fresh garlic, cracked pepper, salt and rosemary. We like ours' rare, so we cook it until 125* IT.

IRMV
Thanks, Pokey. I will def try that next time. I felt like a deer in headlights with that meat. HAAH

There's just nothing quite like that first pork butt smoke!  You open that cooler with anticipation and that "Man, I hope this thing turned out right..." feeling.  Then you slide the bone out and it offers no resistance and you know you're good!  Well done Chris...well done!
points.gif

Your second smoke?? looks like you must be some kind of bbq prodigy!  awesome job. I'm gonna go get Meowey's rub recipe right now!
Meowey's rub was awesome. I (and the rest of the crew) enjoyed it. I give all the credit to everyone here on this forum. I think I've read this forum 10X a day since I came across it in google (before I even had a smoker!) This place is the best. 

Chris

Last edited:
There's just nothing quite like that first pork butt smoke!  You open that cooler with anticipation and that "Man, I hope this thing turned out right..." feeling.  Then you slide the bone out and it offers no resistance and you know you're good!  Well done Chris...well done!
points.gif

Exactly! When I pulled it out of the cooler, I was like "Ok bone, slide out nice and easy for me...." Once it pulled out clean, I was excited and ready to dig in! Fingers crossed (if the meat thaws in time) I am going to do a test run on a turkey and throw a pork loin in there...because...why not 
tongue.gif

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky