Pork Belly Burnt Ends 1st try.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 15, 2012
Well this was my first attempt at PBBEs and I now see why everyone goes crazy over these things. PBBEs will most certainly make the party circuit along with pork shots, moinks and ABTs.

...and away we go.

Started out with about 3 pounds of pork belly(cut from the 9 pounder I bought).

DSC01020.JPG

Cut it up into about 1" cubes:
DSC01021.JPG

Decided to go the shake-n-bake route for appling the rub. Every utube video showed allot of wasted rub using the sprinkle method. This worked much better and I got better coverage.
DSC01022.JPG

All rubbed down with Stubbs pork rub.

DSC01025.JPG

...and onto the 26" running around 225* with two charcoal baskets.
DSC01026.JPG

another view
DSC01027.JPG

after about 4 hours panned them to get ready for a bath.
DSC01028.JPG

bath contains apple juice, butter, brown sugar, honey, and SBRs
DSC01029.JPG

After a 2 hour bath they go back on the grill to tack up. The burger is for skidmark. I didn't think it would be a good idea for him to eat a PBBE.
DSC01030.JPG

Skidmark waiting patiently.
DSC01032.JPG

Off the grill and ready to eat.
DSC01033.JPG

Close-up. I purposly left out the final coating of BBQ sauce. To see how they taste naked. I was impressed. I also tried dipping a few in sauce heated on the stove and it was equally as good. That being said - next time I make them I will glaze them with BBQ sauce when they are on the grill.
DSC01034.JPG

Thanks for taking a peek.

Overall stats: Prep time: 30min, Cook time: 6.5 hours, Grill temp: 225 to start, 250 to finish.Wood: 2 good sized chunks of apple

As usual any comments or questions are more then welcome.

Chris

tenor-18.gif

First time?!? Look like a seasoned veteran! Excellent looking! I'm with ya on the shake and bake. I toss em in a bowl. Gotta have 100% coverage. Well done and like for sure.

Looks like you nailed it the first time.

PBBE'S are my favorite threads to read. Especially when pictures are added.

Not that I would ever turn them down. But I prefer my PBBE'S finished with a sauce or glaze as well. It just add's another layer of flavor.

look mighty fine to me here in the lake george area.............point worthy for sure

Thanks greatfx for the kind words and like - appreciate them. Your only about 2 hours away, swing on by.

Hell Yeah!

Chris, how can these be your first PBBE's?
They look too damned good!
Points for sure... Like!

John, not sure how these avoided my grates for all these years. I'm not looking back now - that's for sure. Thanks for the like and compliment appreciate them.

Chris

View attachment 400520

First time?!? Look like a seasoned veteran! Excellent looking! I'm with ya on the shake and bake. I toss em in a bowl. Gotta have 100% coverage. Well done and like for sure.

Thanks Zach, seasoned veteran - I don't think so. Maybe a first line cook trainee at Micky D's. Especially compared to you, tx and chili. I roll out the party food, yous guys roll out the 5 star stuff. Thanks for the like and compliment.

they look great

Thanks Jim, they were very good. Next time I'll sauce them on the grill and step them up another notch. Thanks for the like also.

Chris

Reactions: Misplaced Nebraskan
Those look tasty!

Thanks b-one and thanks for the like.

Those look Mighty Tasty!!
Vermonters sure do eat Good!!
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear

We have to eat good when we can. Rumor has it the folks from Macungie keep intercepting our care packages. Thanks for the like and compliment Bear, appreciate them.

Chris

Thanks b-one and thanks for the like.

We have to eat good when we can. Rumor has it the folks from Macungie keep intercepting our care packages. Thanks for the like and compliment Bear, appreciate them.

Chris

Dang Bears will do that, if you don't keep an eye on them!!!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky