Pork Al Pastor on the Rotisserie

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mneeley490

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 23, 2011
Everett, WA
One of my favorite things from the local taco trucks, and when I'm in Mexico. Nothing like great street-meat from the locals. (BTW, I've been to Mexico many, many times, eating street-meat tacos and shrimp-on-a-stick from the beach vendors, and the only time I've ever gotten sick was when I ordered a Domino's pizza.:emoji_confused:)

Cobbled together a recipe from several sources, but when light on the chilies and spices, since I want my wife and son to eat it. For instance, most recipes called for 5 rehydrated Guajillo chilies. Mine were 8" long, so I only used 3.
Into the blender. Doesn't that look good?
20220514_153525.jpg

Cut up a pork butt into 1/4" slices.
20220514_154136.jpg

Threaded onto the skewer with fresh pineapple slices.
20220515_131148.jpg

And onto the Weber.
20220515_135547.jpg

Spritzing with pineapple juice between shavings, about every 30 minutes.
20220515_152730.jpg

And a little libation for the pitmaster. Trying a Blue Grass Cocktail. Darned good.
20220515_153913.jpg

Also, since this is May near Seattle, it's barely 60° and pouring rain. So this is my middle finger to the ever-present rain.

Last edited:
It does look good Mike. I think you hit it out a the park! Do you slice off of the skewers, or remove from the skewers before serving?

Slicing every 30 minutes or so to get that char on as much as possible.
Then you slice of say 1/2 inch every 30 minutes to cook the next level and the pieces you slice off are used in the tortillas, great idea. Similar to the vertical cooker sliced meat.

Can you share the sauce recipe?

Looks fantastic and flavors I’d love for sure. How was the sauce used? Is the meat marinaded in it or is it sauce for the tacos?

Awesome work! I’m a taco snob, too much time in San Diego and Mexico! Those are legit!

That's fantastic . Been wondering how that would work .
I'll be trying this . Thanks for posting .

First time I was in Mexico was an all inclusive thing . Walked in to get some breakfast the first morning . Typical spread .
Found the guy in charge , handed him a 20 and told him I want what you eat for breakfast .
I had tamales and refried beans with green chili's for the next 7 days . Fantastic .

Fantastic piece of work Mike, I've got a butt thawed, this could be the main menu tomorrow. We went to a all inclusive resort in Ixtapa every year before the pandemic, sure do miss that. RAY

Reactions: chopsaw
Then you slice of say 1/2 inch every 30 minutes to cook the next level and the pieces you slice off are used in the tortillas, great idea. Similar to the vertical cooker sliced meat.

Can you share the sauce recipe?
This is what I used:
20 oz. can of crushed pineapple
3 Guajillo chilies, rehydrated (recipes called for 5)
3/4 c. apple cider vinegar
5 cloves garlic
2 chopped onions
1 T. cinnamon
1 T. white pepper
1 T. black pepper
1 T. dry oregano
1 T. cumin
2-1/2 T. Achiote powder (recipe called for 4, but this is all I had.)
1 T. salt
All this goes into a blender to make a spicy smoothie. If I were to make it again, I'd try to get more Achiote powder, or find the paste. I like a little more heat than my wife & son.
Looks fantastic and flavors I’d love for sure. How was the sauce used? Is the meat marinaded in it or is it sauce for the tacos?
Yes, it was marinated overnight.
Fantastic piece of work Mike, I've got a butt thawed, this could be the main menu tomorrow. We went to a all inclusive resort in Ixtapa every year before the pandemic, sure do miss that. RAY
My wife and I have done all-inclusives in Puerto Vallarta nearly every year since 2006. Love the food and the people there, but I go off reservation when I want street meat and such.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky