1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Pop's brine whole chicken .

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by chopsaw, Jan 23, 2018.

1. chopsaw

chopsaw Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

I've done this once before , but wanted to inject this time . I used 1/2 cup kosher salt , and then 1/2 cup each white and brown sugar . For the 1 gallon water , went with 2 tbls cure 1 this time , because I wanted a faster cure . Pumped , then in the brine 48 hours . Dried in fridge over night . I ended up doing this in the oven ,,, it's a long story . Anyway ,,
    All pumped , then in the bucket .
    20180119_103642.jpg
    I really like the Briner buckets .
    20180119_103745.jpg
    Dried over night
    20180120_134016.jpg
    Just black pepper on the skin
    20180120_134219.jpg
    Out of the oven ran over a little more than I wanted ,
    but it didn't matter ,,, Note how dry the cutting
    board is .
    20180121_175658.jpg
    Cut into the leg joint ,,, Perfect !
    Really good , so moist . Flavor was great for just the standard brine
    and black pepper on the skin .
    20180121_181546.jpg
    Got another thawing . Going to do Dave's veggie stock injection on that one .

tallbm, tropics and SmokinAl like this.
  2. SmokinAl

SmokinAl SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

That is one juicy looking chicken!
    Nicely done!
    Al

3. hank2000

hank2000 Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

I’ve never cured a chicken. What does it taste like

4. chopsaw

It taste great . If using Pop's brine , it has a little sweetness to it . Maybe hammy ,,, that depends on how long you leave it in the brine . Try it with some chicken legs and thighs .

5. hank2000

hank2000 Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

I think I will

6. tropics

tropics Epic Pitmaster OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Nice job I knew I didn't see a whole Chicken posted yesterday.I have a hard time telling people it is cooked,they see the pink and freak out LOL Definitely nice color Points
    Richie

chopsaw likes this.
  7. zwiller

zwiller Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Does the breast meat take on much color? I wouldn't think so as less myglobin.

8. chopsaw

No that one didn't . Longer time in the bucket I think it would .

9. sandyut

sandyut Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Brining bucket??? what is this product I dont have???

10. chopsaw

https://shop.thebriner.com/main.sc
    I have both the Regular size and the smaller Jr. I use the Jr. all the time , actually have boneless chicken breast in it now . ( Pop's low salt brine )
    Haven't use the big one much . I bought it first , then got the smaller one . They work great .

11. What’s the purpose for the cure in the chicken,I use cures in jerky and sausage.